We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape town trip

Which Knysna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
reviews: 12
Cape town trip

Hi, I'm thinking about a trip to cape town and knysna over next Xmas and new year. My trip will be at least two weeks , no more than three and I have a few concerns and queries that I would appreciate comments on.

My trip will be solo and I really do not want to drive. I will be flying into and out of cape town and I am planning on getting a bus to and from knysna. I have read that the bus companies cannot be booked from outside south Africa and also that their pick up and drop off points may not be from central locations but possibly that they set you down on the main road . I have read a little about baz buses and that they may have some kind of door to door service.

Im worried about crime and personal safety , how safe is it to walk around , from hotel to city centre and to generally spend your day wandering around. Are things generally accessible on foot . I d plan to be staying in the waterfront area in cape town and I haven't looked at hotels in knysna yet.

I've read that taxis operate on a totally different system to what I'm used to in England . Can you book taxis? Do you have to share them with strangers ?

In cape town there are quite a few obvious must see sights such as robben island which I have heard must be booked in advance. How long in advance is advised? Is it possible to go on a safari without a car, ie is there a company that does pick ups from hotels?

Obviously Christmas and new year are public holidays , how much of the country shuts down from a tourists point of view ? Are restraunts, bars and tourist sights generally open?

I have said I'm visiting cape town and knysna , I am open to the idea of other places as well if they are practical to get to. All replies and comments appreciated.

Is from mid December until the new year a holiday in south Africa

Cape Town Central...
1. Re: Cape town trip

Just to answer some of your questions:

1. Safety - there are a lot of threads covering safety but basically, yes it is safe to walk around most areas particularly areas tourists would vist. Just take the normal precautions you would in any other city & you should be fine.

2. Christmas & New Year is high season in South Africa so I would strongly suggest you start booking your accomodation as soon as possible. Popular places tend to get book up months in advance. Similarly, you can expect all tourist attractions, restaurants, etc to be open over that period with some closures on Xmas day.

I will leave the other questions for someone else to answer.

reviews: 27
2. Re: Cape town trip

Hi. We went as a couple but felt totally safe and walking around in daytime is no problem. Not sure what you mean by taxi's but they operate exactly the same as the uk but are far cheaper! You phone for a taxi or get one waiting outside the V&A, table mountain etc - if phoning we found Excite to be reliable and friendly. The jury appears to be out on Robben Island but we are glad we went and booked tickets a couple of months before our trip, but no idea to be honest at what stage they get sold out. I would book a ticket in advance for Table Mountain if you intend to go as can be used anytime within a 14 day period of the date booked, which avoids queuing more than you otherwise might and gives flexibility if not running. Enjoy

3. Re: Cape town trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 18, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Knysna