We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watch companies in Hermanus or other top whale areas

Which Hermanus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
reviews: 65
Whale watch companies in Hermanus or other top whale areas

I'm looking for recommendations for whale watch companies in and around the Hermanus area or top whale watch areas for September. Thanks!

1. Re: Whale watch companies in Hermanus or other top whale areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:37 pm, June 12, 2012
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
2. Re: Whale watch companies in Hermanus or other top whale areas

Whales can be watched from shore.

Then there is the whale crier - http://www.hermanus.com/whale-crier.mv

Boston
reviews: 65
3. Re: Whale watch companies in Hermanus or other top whale areas

Lamlee,

Even though you can view the whales from the shore as I have read would you still recommend the whale watch?

Hermanus, South...
4. Re: Whale watch companies in Hermanus or other top whale areas

I would recommend Southern Right charters. You can see the whales from shore, like anything in nature it is luck. Some days they are all over he place, close to the shor,. other days they are deep at see.

The whale boats generally find them.

If you are in the area for a few days, I would also recommend going to De Kelders. Whenever we dont find the whales here, we take the half an hour drive and more often than not they they are in dekelders close to shore.

Linkie Groenewald - owner Truly Africa Tours

Greater Manchester
5. Re: Whale watch companies in Hermanus or other top whale areas

Hi misstoscana - I too would recommend Southern Right Charters. Although whale watching from the shore is also a great experience, you've more chance of getting close to them on the boat. As has been pointed out, they are wild and you're not guaranteed a sighting, but you'd be very unlucky not to see them in September.

JSCAPM

Greater Manchester
6. Re: Whale watch companies in Hermanus or other top whale areas

Hi misstoscana - I too would recommend Southern Right Charters. Although whale watching from the shore is also a great experience, you've more chance of getting close to them on the boat. As has been pointed out, they are wild and you're not guaranteed a sighting, but you'd be very unlucky not to see them in September.

JSCAPM

scotland
reviews: 80
7. Re: Whale watch companies in Hermanus or other top whale areas

We did a whale watching trip last year (October) and the experience was amazing (one whale very curious) but that was all we saw and it was pretty choppy. My favourite viewings were still from shore & they are very clear. I was really excited about our visit to Hermanus & was NOT disappointed - I booked a boat trip in case we didn;t see any whales from shore but we needn't have worried about that!

Enjoy!

Cape Town Central...
reviews: 57
8. Re: Whale watch companies in Hermanus or other top whale areas

Hi there

I also have to agree that some days the whales are all over the place and then some days there are none. Hermanus and De Kelders are the best places to see the whales for land based watching. A company in Gansbaai that i recommend is Ivanhoe Sea Safari's, www.whaleviewing.co.za . A really good sized boat, very clean and very well looked after.

Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

essex, uk
reviews: 2
9. Re: Whale watch companies in Hermanus or other top whale areas

which is the latest month of the year that you are almost CERTAIN to see the whales?, although I realise that with wildlife there is no certainly about it's behavior

I have read that it is October but I am worried that the weather in the rest of the Cape would not be hot enough for the pool or beach.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
reviews: 331
10. Re: Whale watch companies in Hermanus or other top whale areas

Gem166

I have seen whales in November in De Kelders, really close to the shore. We watched a mum and her calf playing and walked along the cliff with them. Saw quite a few further out in the bay too - was around 12th November.

Hoping we will see a few stragglers this year in mid November when we are staying at Grotto Beach.

Lisa

Get answers to your questions about Hermanus