We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hermanus or Plettenberg Bay

Which Hermanus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 15
Hermanus or Plettenberg Bay

Hi, my husband and I will be in South Africa for our honeymoon in 2 weeks and were thinking of spending time in either/both Hermanus and Plet Bay. However, our trip to Plettenberg Bay will involve some long drives possibly late at night from Port Elizabeth. Do you think we should give it a miss and just stick to Hermanus instead?

We also want to go shark cage diving in hermanus, but have no scuba experience. I know http://www.white-shark-diving.com/ comes highly recommended, but I hear Marine Dynamics is good as well and their sister company Dyer Island cruises also do a whale-watching trip. Any thoughts or feedback on them?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
reviews: 63
1. Re: Hermanus or Plettenberg Bay

In order to be able to give you sound advice, we need to have your full itinerary and time of year you will be visiting South Africa.

You do not need scuba experience for shark cage diving.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
reviews: 63
2. Re: Hermanus or Plettenberg Bay

Apologies. I misread your post regarding time of year you will be visiting S.A. which, I understand, will be in mid-November.

Whale watching can be dubious in November as the Southern Right Whales normally leave the South African waters for the Antartic this month but we are still seeing whales off the Atlantic seaboard right now.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
3. Re: Hermanus or Plettenberg Bay

If it wasn't for the whales I wouldn't bother with Hermanus. As pointed out late November is not the best time for seeing them. You may be lucky you may not.

A lot depends on your itinerary, It is not a long drive from Port Elizabeth to Plett. though it is a long way from PE to Hermanus.

You can also do an Ocean Safari from Plett. where you go out in a boat see the seal colony, hopefully run with dolphins and if you are lucky get close to whales (again, depends if there are still any around). All things being equal (your itinerary) at that time of the year I would opt for Plett.

paignton devon
reviews: 10
4. Re: Hermanus or Plettenberg Bay

It might be worth you looking at white water lodge near Sanford which is past hermanus.We stayed in the honetmoon suite here and it was fantastic!! Also if the whales are still there go to De Kellders beach near Sanford.We saw 20 whales in 2 hours from the cliffs.If you do stay here go to Paprika resturant.Wonderful food.Have fun.You will.

Cape Town
5. Re: Hermanus or Plettenberg Bay

We stayed at Stanford River Lodge, Stanford, 15km from Hermanus. It has a perfect location on a river and one can canoe and swim for miles in safe flat water. It is close to Gansbaai from where it is best to go shark diving and no scuba experience is required. We stayed in the honeymoon/Fish Eagle suite, a fabulous room with incredible views including your own balcony. The hosts were fantastic and took us whale watching on a deserted beach in their Landrover where we had sundowners, saw whales and watched the sun set. Bliss. Very relaxing, ideal spot to get away from it all but there are many things to do in the area.

6. Re: Hermanus or Plettenberg Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, October 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Hermanus