We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hermanus- Good Beach Town?

Which Hermanus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york city
Hermanus- Good Beach Town?

Hello,

I am looking for a good beach town where my husband and I can relax for two nights before continuing up to Jo'burg with our SA itinerary.

I heard of Hermanus and was wondering if this is a beach town which we could go swimming, lay out on the beach and relax?

We would be driving in from Cape Town during the first week of September.

If not, can you please suggest a good beach for swimming?

Also, does anyone know how far the driveis from Hermanus to George? I am looking to use this airport to fly to Jo'burg.

Thanks

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
1. Re: Hermanus- Good Beach Town?

Hermanus is not a beach town, it is a very interesting town and best known for whale spotting but beaches and swimming definately not. I would suggest one of the areas around Cape Town, for example Camps Bay has a large beach, lots of restaurants and only a short drive to the centre of Cape Town.

From Hermanus to George is about 350 km.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
reviews: 43
2. Re: Hermanus- Good Beach Town?

I live part of the year directly across the bay from Hermanus (in De Kelders) and even a hard-boiled New Yorker might find the water too cold for swimming in early September. Relax? Come on over to De Kelders and chill out. Watch the huge Southern Right whales, from the shore or the boat that has the license for whale viewing. www.dekelders.co.za is one of the good B&B's. There are others, too. Plus, we are even closer to George!

And our little town, Gansbaai, is the HQ for shark cage diving. Yes, you are in the cold water, but they provide the wet suit and shoes..

new york city
3. Re: Hermanus- Good Beach Town?

Thanks for the information.

I didn't realize George was that far away. I think I may just drive back to Cape Town to catch a flight to Jo'burg, since its closer. Thanks also for the Camps Bay suggestion, but i thought it might be nice to take the scenic drive along the coast and stay somewhere along the way. Which is why I thought of Hermanus.

Bwanadave is there a B&B place in Hermanus, like the nice one you suggest in Kelders? Or do you still think Kelders is a better option and just take day trips to Hermanus?

What about a surfing town? Maybe if we can't go bathing, I can at least let my husband catch some waves. Any good surf town suggestions near Hermanus area?

Thanks all

Hermanus
4. Re: Hermanus- Good Beach Town?

Hello worldlygoods

Hermanus has a number of beaches with Grotto beach being the largest and it also has Blue Flag status. The next beach is Voëlklip beach and then there are several smaller beaches. In addition it is whale season and there are already about 70 whales in Walker Bay.

If you want abeach holiday, Voëlklip is a good area to reside in and it is only a short distance from the centre of the village. A 5 km walk on the spectacular cliff path will bring you to the centre of the village. Or if you wish you can drive. The distance between George and Hermanus is approximately a 4 hour drive and you can use either George Airport to Johannesburg or you can continue to Port Elixabeth and fly from Port Elizabeth.

Regards

London
reviews: 1
5. Re: Hermanus- Good Beach Town?

In terms of surfing the beaches are excellent (I speak from many years of experience watching from the sidelines.). The water is incredibly cold, but sitting and spotting whales from the wall above Voelklip beach really doe beat Camp Bay any day...hands down.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
reviews: 43
6. Re: Hermanus- Good Beach Town?

Wish I could help with a Hermanus B&B or Guest House.. I know of several that I think would be good - but have never looked at them other than just driving by. Hermanus certainly is more interesting than De Kelders & Gansbaai - and if you want surfing, I'm sure there would be shops there where equipment could be rented. Water will be COLD in September.. wet suit territory for sure. Here's a site where you could look at accommodations: safarinow.com/destinations/hermanus/hub.aspx

Nice place for a lovely meal in Hermanus? The Hornbill, west of town in the Hemel en Aarde Village area. Nice place in Gansbaai?

De Kelders? Hahaha... Just little small town cafes.. homey, but not a special treat for vacationers.

7. Re: Hermanus- Good Beach Town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, September 06, 2009