We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Capetown - need help!

Which Cape Town Central hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston
3 days in Capetown - need help!

We will have 3 days in Capetown before going to Kruger. One of the days we were planning on taking a full day Pennisula tour. Another day, we were planning on doing a half day township tour. The third day, we were planning on spending part of the day at Robbin Island and Table Mountain. We also want time to walk around, shop, see the Maly area, etc.

Are we trying to do too much? Is there anything you would do differently? We could also combine Robbin Island with the Township tour for a full day... and then have a full day for shopping and wandering around...

Robin

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
1. Re: 3 days in Capetown - need help!

I would combine the Robben Island and the shopping, as the V&A waterfront (where the Robben Island tour leaves from) is great for shopping and there are plenty of places to eat when you get footsore.

Cape Town, South...
reviews: 1
2. Re: 3 days in Capetown - need help!

Hello eilee, I do think you are attempting too much in a single day, especially the Robbin Island and Table Mountain and shopping.

Table Mountain Cable Car only goes when the weather is safe and we have a lot of very bad wind in Cape Town in summer, so the weather may sort that out for you without you even trying.

What sort of shopping were you hoping to do? As mentioned, the V&A Waterfront is a shoppers paradise, BUT it is both aimed and priced for tourists, so if you were wanting to see a bit more ethnicity, I would venture into Cape Town itself and visit Green Market Square,

which is one big market where the vendors expect and enjoy your bargaining with them. There is a wonderful energetic vibe there and it always brings a smile to my face, even though I live close by. One warning, keep handbag, cell phone, camera very close to you, tucked under your arm. If you were to visit Green Market Square, very close walk is the Company Gardens where there are lots of squirrels (and beggars) and it is pretty to walk up there towards both the museum and art gallery. This is not specifically 'tourist', so sometimes nice to do. I think you would be able to get there easily on the hop on hop off bus.

I would not walk around central Cape Town at night though.

Cape Town, South...
3. Re: 3 days in Capetown - need help!

Dear Robin,

Cape Town deserves more than 3 days!!! But you will be able to fit it all in if you plan properly. On arrival, if Table Mountain is clear with no cloud, do that first as the weather can be changeable. You must also book your Robben Island option as soon as you arive as these trips are very busy and sometimes booked for 3 days or more.

The Township tours are morning or afternoon, there are a number of operators so that won't be a problem. The V&A Waterfront is very safe at night so you could do that after touring - the shops are all open till 9pm and the restaurants till late...!

Have fun and enjoy Kruger!

Regards,

Judelle

Bradclin House

4. Re: 3 days in Capetown - need help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 26, 2009