We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town - Places to go/see

Which Cape Town Central hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Cape Town - Places to go/see

All,

I went to Sth Africa last year. Beautiful weather, top class food, cheap drink and everything else, people friendly and loads to do. A friend of mine (from Sth Africa) mailed me a basic itinery to go with and although I didn't keep to it word for word it did allow me to see more than I would of...so if it helps anyone..Great!

Things to do when in Cpt:

Table Mountain - the usual cable car ride

V&A Waterfront

Robben Island tour

Aquariam @ V&A Waterfront (spectacular)

Quay 4 for your lunch - order the seafood platter for 2 is fantastic and sit outside!

City Centre - Green market square to do bits and bobs shopping but bargain, as they'll try to get as much money out of you as possible.

Green market square - flea market on Sundays - fantastic array of goods The castle - not my scene, but I'm not sure what tickles your fancy

Other sights

Visit seal island - this is where the great whites are spotted feeding on seals! so hopefully you'll get lucky to witness this.

Take a drive around the coast line, from Sea Point around the mountain, to Llandadno (excuse the spelling), dress inappropriately (as the dress code is NUDES ONLY), continue around Chapmans Peak to reach Cape Point - Nature Reserve and the most southerly point of Africa - the views are brilliant, as you'll see the oceans clashing and this in itself is fantastic - don't come back saying that you've taken the shuttle to the top! work 'em muscles and walk up!

Moving along the coast line you'll pass through to Boulders Beach where you can witness the penguins in their natural environment and if you're there early in the morn, you will see them crossing the road, work their way down the stairs to the beach - they're the cutest things!

Travelling inland

do some wine tasting tours - stretching from Stellenbosch, Franschoek, Paarl farms I recommend: Boschendal, Spier, Zonnebloem but don't follow my list, as you'll find that there are a few gems in Franschhoek (I believe that this is the most beautiful place in the world!)

Long Distance

If you going away for a couple of days:

Do the garden route: Cape Town to Wilderness, George, Knysna

Knysna is a must (recommended place to stay: Log Cabin) Places to eat - Pacquitas at the heads!!!

The Mussel Cracker

Do see that you get across to the Featherbed nature reserve - take boat across from harbour to reserve - order your drinks and fresh fish (you won't get it any fresher or tastier - oysters by the dozen!!!), take a tracter trek up to top of reserve and work up the appetite down hill along the rocks and into caves etc - to meet your waiter for your scrumptious meal in picture perfect surroundings!

If you have spare time - go to Plettenberg Bay and feed the heffalumps (elephants)!!!

Also, if you have the time - go to Oudtshoorn to see cheetahs, crocodiles and ostriches!! Graham and I went into the cheetah enclosure and pet 3 wild cheetahs!!

In cape town - there are sooooooo many good restaurants to visit, that I'm not going to recommend any - but if you're in Tyger Valley, there's a steak bistro across from the shopping centre (I forget the name now), but they have the best steak int he world!! (you choose your special piece of meat from the counter as you enter and they cook it to your taste - the wine selection is exquisite - do enjoy if you can!

Also, if you're in Camps Bay, go to a restaurant called the Big Blue (I hope it's still there!!) - their speciality is seafood and their service is something to behold! Make sure you have ostrich, - it is the most tastiest and fat free meat you'll find!

As an adventure: go to Gouritzbridge (on way to George / Knysna) and do bridge swinging / bungee or just go to have a look - very professional and safe!!

Ok, I think that that's enough for now mate... enjoy every minute of it and definately have a drink on me! as I love and miss my home town. ps: take care and stay in tourist areas / with family and friends and you'll have a wonderful time! The people are wonderful and friendly, but just be careful of chancers....

Glasgow, Scotland...
reviews: 17
1. Re: Cape Town - Places to go/see

The Restaurant you mentioned in Tygervalley is called The Famous Butchers Grill. They can be found all over the place and are really worth a visit.

Llandudno beach itself isn't a nudist beach but if you park at Llandudno - it is about a 5-10 min walk to Sandy Bay. Just a word of warning - you do not realise just how quickly you burn - so be careful to cover up parts that are sensitive at some stage during the day. Sandy Bay is not a sand beach but rather situated on huge rocks - which you do have to climb at times to find a spot but it is one of the most beautiful and secluded spots for an all over tan!

Big Blue is called Blues Restaurant and faces over the beach. They really do serve some of the most amazing food. They are not the cheapest on the market but also well worth a visit.

Also go to Blouberg Strand (close to Tableview) for a pub lunch at the Blue Peter Hotel. The views of Table Mountain, Robben Island and the sea are incredible. Most people sit on the grass and relax. Be warned though - on weekends or during season - it can get busy but is always very festive. The beach is across the road and the kids often head down there to play on the sand.

2. Re: Cape Town - Places to go/see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, August 22, 2009