We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town Honeymoon Itinerary and Car Rental doubt

Which Cape Town Central hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sao Paulo, SP
Cape Town Honeymoon Itinerary and Car Rental doubt

Hi!

We're getting married in 3 weeks here in Brazil then leaving for a couple of weeks in South Africa for our honeymoon!

After a few days in a lodge near Hoedspruit (Vuyani Safari Lodge), we'll stay for 7 nights at the Cape Royale in Cape Town. We already have a shuttle to take us to the hotel and back to the airport, but wanted to rent a car for 3 of those days (itinerary ideas below).

Sept 12th (Thursday)

Arrival in Cape Town (mid to late afternoon)

Shuttle to Cape Royale

Dinner there (Bistro 1800) or at the Waterfront.

Sept 13th (Friday)

Hop On Hop Off (HOHO) Bus on Red Route and maybe the Canal Cruise. Not sure which are the best places to stop yet, but we were planning to do the Table Mountain Cable Car at some point (maybe first thing in the morning if the weather looks nice). Any other suggestions?

Sept 14th (Saturday)

Day using the HOHO Bus Blue Route and Wine bus

Take first bus from Waterfront to Kirstenbosch.

Visit the gardens then continue with the bus transfering to the Wine bus.

Have lunch at Jonkershuis and visit Groot Constantia

Then depending on the time of day we do one or more of the following:

- visit other wine estates (Eagle's Nest or Beau Constantia)

- visit Constantia Village

- take the bus to the next stop, World of Birds.

After these we return to the Waterfront through the HOHO or a taxi (too far away for a cab?)

Have dinner at the Crypt Jazz Restaurant

Sept 15th (Sunday)

Rent a car as early as possible and at a car rental location close to the Cape Royale if possible (any suggestions?)

Go all the way to Cape Point

Visit the Cape of Good Hope, the Flying Dutchman funicular and have lunch at Two Oceans restaurant.

Go to Boulder's Beach to see the penguins!

Take a boat to Seal Island from Simon's Town.

I also thought of including Cape Point Ostrich Farm in this day somewhere, but not sure if there would be time, also not sure if it would be best to do Boulder's Beach and Seal Island in the morning then continue to Cape Point.

Do the Chapman's Peak Drive on the way back to the Waterfront .

Sept 16th (Monday)

Leave early in the morning and drive to Cape Agulhas

Visit the southernmost tip of Africa and Agulhas Lighthouse

Drive back to Hermanus and check-in to the Misty Waves Hotel

Have lunch and do a Whale Watching Tour

Sept 17th (Tuesday)

Go early from Hermanus to Gansbaai to White Shark Projects for Shark Cage Diving (already booked!)

Not sure what else we can do on our return trip to Cape Town, Betty's Bay perhaps?

Sept 18th (Wednesday)

Return the car early in the morning probably

V&A Waterfront

Two Oceans Aquarium

Robben Island

Anything else we might have missed

Might go to Table Mountain again as these will be the first days in which the cable car will be working until 7pm and therefore after sunset!!! They haven't revealed when their Sunset Special will resume, but I believe it will probably be back by then!

Sept 19th (Thursday)

Maybe walk around a bit near the Waterfront in the morning

Check out at the hotel and take shuttle to Cape Town airport - plane leaves at 2pm! :-(

What do you think of our itinerary? Any suggestions?

One other thing I began to consider as I was writing our plans was to maybe get the car on Saturday instead of Sunday and do Kirstenbosch, Groot Constantia, Constantia Village and maybe World or Birds (not necessarily in that order) by car. If that is the case I'll get only 1 day of the HOHO bus for the Red Route.

Thanks in advance! :-)

Eduardo & Bruna

8 replies to this topic
Sao Paulo, SP
1. Re: Cape Town Honeymoon Itinerary and Car Rental doubt

Any suggestions? Opinions?

Cape Town Central...
reviews: 12
2. Re: Cape Town Honeymoon Itinerary and Car Rental doubt

Hi,

I'm a local here in Cape Town so I don't know much about the HOHO bus and where it goes. If you can go to constantia and hout bay and all of the places that you mentioned via that bus, and it's cheap, do it!

For your longer trips along either coasts I would definitely rent a car rather than a tour.

The majority of rental companies will bring a car to you at your hotel and sit with you to do the paperwork there. So you don't need to worry about where they are located. They can either collect when you're done, or you can drop it at the airport on your departure.

I was a tourist 12 years ago when i came here and did pretty much everything. I also socialize with a lot of visitors and foreigners, and i never hear anything about world of birds. I know it is in Hout Bay, I even lived a block away from it for a year, but have never had the slightest interest to go there. so, I hope it's cheap, and i hope you don't waste a whole day on it. :)

Sao Paulo, SP
3. Re: Cape Town Honeymoon Itinerary and Car Rental doubt

slimkoppie

I'm really in doubt between going to World of Birds or spending more time in Constantia estates and Constantia village. If even locals like yourself don't know much about it, I guess it would be better to enjoy some extra time in wine tours and tastings!

I haven't found specific car rentals that drop off the car to my hotel and later collect it. I was getting quotes from the usual international companies like Avis and Hertz and also some others like Europcar. Avis seems to have the best offer at the moment.

Greater Manchester
4. Re: Cape Town Honeymoon Itinerary and Car Rental doubt

Hi Eduardo - just book your rental car from the nearest office and then when you get to Cape Town, you can ring them and ask them to deliver. Any of them will do it for a very small fee.

Didn't much care for World of Birds and it wouldn't be on my list of recommended places to visit.

JSCAPM

Kent
5. Re: Cape Town Honeymoon Itinerary and Car Rental doubt

Not sure why you would want to go visit Constantia Village shopping mall ? Better shopping in Claremont.

Cape Town Central...
reviews: 12
6. Re: Cape Town Honeymoon Itinerary and Car Rental doubt

Europcar will definitely deliver your vehicle. The other big ones probably will too. You may need to specify that you would like that.

7. Re: Cape Town Honeymoon Itinerary and Car Rental doubt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:23 am, August 29, 2013

Sao Paulo, SP
8. Re: Cape Town Honeymoon Itinerary and Car Rental doubt

braaiseason

I haven't read much about Claremont (might have seen it in passing, but haven't gone too deep!), I'll look into it. Any suggestions?

Do you think if I have a car that it would be better to do Kirstenbosch, Groot Constantia and then head to Claremont for some shopping? We're looking specially for things for our new apartment!

slimkoppie & JSCAPM

I'll try to contact the companies about getting the car delivered and later collected from the hotel, thanks!

Reply to: Cape Town Honeymoon Itinerary and Car Rental doubt
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted