We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central hotel - walking distance of V&A

Which Cape Town Central hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Central hotel - walking distance of V&A

Looking for a centrally located hotel within walking distance of V&A waterfront, has restaurants within walking distance, ideally has cheap/free car parking which isn't too much of a business hotel (we are on honeymoon). Budget is max 1200 ZAR per night, ideally 1000 per night.

Current options are :

- Portswood V&A (£328 - 4750 ZAR

- Protea Hotel Victoria Junction (£299 - 4300 ZAR)

Which would you choose out of these two hotels? Other wildcard option is Rouge on Rose which is £350 - 5000ish ZAR

Cape Town Central...
reviews: 40
1. Re: Central hotel - walking distance of V&A

I would choose Portswood Hotel, 5mins walk to the Waterfront restaurants and have easy parking. Other hotels in the area: Commodore Hotel, Victoria & Alfred Hotel, Dock House, Cape Grace Hotel, Protea Breakwater Lodge, Cape Royale Hotel, One & Only Hotel and also Village & Life Self-catering Apartments.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Western Cape, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
reviews: 37
2. Re: Central hotel - walking distance of V&A

I'm curious to know where those rates for Portswood can be found. Their Winter special on the web is R690PP.

No indication that is B&B.. maybe room only. But to answer your real question - Portswood would be my choice compared to Victoria Junction..

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Johannesburg, South...
3. Re: Central hotel - walking distance of V&A

Hi LondonFlare,

Those rates for Portswood do seem a bit high! It is a better and closer option than Protea Victoria Junction. The Commodore is also close, as is the Protea Breakwater Lodge, as was mentioned above. The other hotel to consider is perhaps the Park Inn by Raddison. Some of the others mentioned are probably above your budget.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

London
4. Re: Central hotel - walking distance of V&A

THe Portswood rate is on hotels.com and works out about 1,000 ZAR per room per night (including breakfast). I'm slightly confused as to whether this is a good rate as the two posters above me slightly conflict each other!

London
5. Re: Central hotel - walking distance of V&A

Are you referring to the Park Inn Foreshore? If so the rates for that are 820ZAR per room per night.

Johannesburg, South...
6. Re: Central hotel - walking distance of V&A

Hi LondonFlare,

Yes I am. Its not too far from the V&A.

WRT The Portswood, I just checked on their website and the winter special is ZAR690 per person sharing. The Commodore is ZAR750 per person sharing. This is exactly what bwanadave posted. I'm not sure exactly when their winter specials are valid until, and what the t & c's are.

When will you be travelling?

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me |South Africa

London
7. Re: Central hotel - walking distance of V&A

Travelling 13th August for 5 nights. The rates I posed were for per room so considerably cheaper than the rates offered direct with the hotels.

Johannesburg, South...
8. Re: Central hotel - walking distance of V&A

Hi,

I am presuming then that the rates you posted in the OP were the BAR(Best Available Rates) for the length of your hotel stay ie 5 nights?

There seems to have been a bit of confusion about this...from my side anyway. Sorry!! :)

If that is the case, The Portswood or even The Commodore are good choices, or the Park Inn Foreshore, but the other 2 are closer to the V & A.

Regards.

London
9. Re: Central hotel - walking distance of V&A

yes, the prices were total for the 5 nights (for both the wife and I). Thanks for your help.

Johannesburg, South...
10. Re: Central hotel - walking distance of V&A

Hi again,

Its a pleasure!

Hope the advice has helped.

Enjoy your trip.