We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Female Trip Report

Which Cape Town Central hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
38 posts
59 reviews
Single Female Trip Report

I just came back from 5 wonderful days in Cape Town. I wanted to share that I am black female traveling alone and I had a wonderful time. In fact I am looking forward to going back again!

As I was traveling alone, I did sign up for tours prior to my arrival. I used Rhino Africa and the arranged everything! It was great. I stayed at the Hilton Cape Town ( see my review). I never felt unsafe and I am happy that I went.

I did the standard tourist stuff, Hop On Hop Off bus, Robben's Island, Cape Point, etc. After the 1st day you start making friends as a lot of the tourists are doing the same thing, and you start seeing the same people.

I did a lot of shopping! Mainly at the V&A. For the tourist stuff I was buying, I felt the prices were the same just about everywhere. Make sure you keep your receipts for the Vat refund.

I will be heading back, soon I hope!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
22,901 posts
3,744 reviews
1. Re: Single Female Trip Report

Thanks for the trip report. Glad you had a nice time in Cape Town.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Single Female Trip Report

Spread the word, especially about safety!!!!!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
177 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: Single Female Trip Report

Thanks so much for sharing. Have you posted other details of your trip outside of the Hilton?

We will be two women traveling in August and interested to hear more about your trip.

Cape Town Central...
6 posts
4. Re: Single Female Trip Report

Great to read your report, it gives the next traveler that confidence as you had first hand experience.

Regards

Sonia

Chicago
Level Contributor
38 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: Single Female Trip Report

sk84fungirl

I did the standard tourist stuff with tour guides,I had arranged everything with Rhino Africa before I left. Day 1 their tour guide picked me up and we did Table Mountain and a City tour, it was very informative. In the afternoon I did Robben's Island and after hung out along the Waterfront. Day 2 I did Cape Point Tour with a tour company Hylton Ross. It included Hoot's Bay, Boulder Beach, Cape Point, Cape Hope and Kirstenbosch. Day 3 Aquila Private Game Reserve. Day 4, Hop on Hop off bus and some shopping.

I never felt unsafe, my hotel was great about getting transportation after the tour company dropped me off. I encountered 1 beggar but I am from Chicago, so I have the art of ignoring down.

I have literally traveled all over the world, and Cape Town is by far the No.1 place I've been. Depending on where you are from safety may be a concern for you, but as many have said before use common sense you will be fine. I've been telling everyone since I've been back, that a. I can't wait to go back and b. everyone should experience it at some point.

I will say I was concerned traveling as a single black female, but my concerns were for not.

Happy Travels.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
177 posts
66 reviews
6. Re: Single Female Trip Report

Thanks Windy. Here's the thing...grew up in Gary and live in Atl. Have traveled to most major cities in the 50 states alone. Not worried about safety. Always alert and use common sense...😊

I appreciate the info. We are doing Cape Point through Hylton tours as well, booking Robben Island through the website, and figuring out the rest when we arrive.

Vienna
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Single Female Trip Report

Hi there,

Glad you had a good time in one of my favourite cities - am looking forward to going back in Dec.

I find TA such a good place to get the latest information, as it is quite a few years since my last trip. I often get names of places to have a meal or simply things I haven't seen or done before.

Thanks for sharing your holiday here on TA

Lizby

8. Re: Single Female Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 08, 2014