We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire question

Which Cape Town Central hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
manchester
reviews: 17
Car hire question

Hi,

We will be visiting Cape Town in August for 4 nights, driving the garden route, then returning to Cape Town for a night before the flight home.

The intention is not to drive whilst in Cape Town.

I am trying to arrange a hire car and would be grateful to know is it easier to just get a taxi back out of Cape Town and collect and return the hire car from there. Many of the websites quote the airport only in their search engines?

Many thanks.

4 replies to this topic
Kent
1. Re: Car hire question

The best option is to have the car delivered & collected from where you are staying. I used Aroundabout Cars a few times & they provided this service.

Cape Town, Western...
2. Re: Car hire question

I've always hired cars from the airport when came to Cape Town on holiday. Hiring cars from the airport is slightly more expensive than other locations, although it was convenient. For the last 3 times I booked though Europcar and found them to offer the cheapest deals for hiring cars in Cape Town. I always select the most basic vehicles - a super-mini with no air con. With the last 3 booking through Europcar they have always booked the car through Budget. I've never seen any of the 1l or 1.1l suoer-minis (Chevy Spark, Hyundai Atoz) in the Budget parking area and all 3 times they have given me a 1.6l Chevy Aveo with air con and CD player. Some of the cheaper car hire places use Citi Golf cars (basic MK1 Golf shape with no air con).

International people usually get better deals than the SA locals when hiring cars, so it is better to book in advance from the UK rather than booking something when you get here. When I moved here I hired a car for 14 days for the time between me arriving in Cape Town and my car arriving at the port. I was then told that it would take 3 days to empty the container ship and the car needed to be inspected by customs, so I needed to extend the hire period by another 5 days. Because I had pre-paid the car, Budget then wanted me to sign a new 5 day contract for the car I was using and pay in the local currency. I ended up paying as much for 5 days as I did for the previous 14 days! When I queried this they said this was their standard rate - I was on a very low promotional rate with the original booking through Europcar!

Cape Town Central...
reviews: 32
3. Re: Car hire question

You can have a look at carhire3000 and try to have the car delivered at your place of accommodation. They have good deals with local rental car companies such as: Avis Car Rental, Europcar, Tempest Car Hire, etc.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Berkshire, England
reviews: 56
4. Re: Car hire question

We always use Avis and have the car delivered and collected from our hotel. The added cost of doing this is pretty small. We book the car in the UK before we leave. We book through VA and when we get to our hotel, there is a Virgin Holidays rep on site and she will always check for us that the car is definitely being delivered.

Reply to: Car hire question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted