We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

Which Cape Town Central hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bournemouth...
reviews: 1
Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

We are two girls in our twenties keen to spend a few days in cape town after work commitments. We have been warned that safety wise it is quite dangerous... Could people please help us out a bit here?

We have both travelled before - India, Australia and Europe so feel confident but are a bit put off by some stories.

We are looking to travel the cape of good hope, table mountain, boulders beach and camps bay and perhaps a wine tour and are on a shoestring budget.

Any recomendations/ encouragements/ warnings most welcome.

Thanks in advance :)

54 replies to this topic
Naracoorte
reviews: 14
1. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

Yes it is safe. These safety questions are getting a bit tedious. There is one a day. Please use the search function to read the answers to the dozens of safety questions.

Philadelphia
reviews: 31
2. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

Dear Girls,

I spent a week in Cape Town on my own with absolutely no problems. I walked blocks and blocks on my own, I took the local buses, spent a day in the original "city center" where I attended a play at the Fugard Theater.. . I missed my bus back to my b&b, located a security officer on the street (security is everywhere) and he just about took me by the hand to the main bus station. I feel nothing but good will towards the many South Africans who made my trip so memorable. I stayed at a charming little place in a real neighborhood about 20 mins walk to the touristy Waterfront area - St. Bedes Terrace.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
3. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

This is when I wish Tripadvisor had a LIKE button good one LivPhilly

Johannesburg, South...
4. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

tryhard, get over yourself. This discovery phase is a part of purchasing anything, and that includes travel. They have specific questions and want those answered specifically to them, to allay their concerns, to maybe get an angle that hasn't been posted before, for the excitement that this whole discovery phase promotes, whatever the case may be. If you don't like it, naff off. But don't get all pissy because they would like people who know CT to get into a dialogue with them.

Edited: 10:50 pm, March 02, 2013
Avila Beach...
reviews: 7
5. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

Thanks, Doug A, for your perspective. It's not just the SA forum, I always find I start any question or comment I have on TA with a liturgy of disclaimers so someone won't jump on me. Seems like the TA forums are so people who need info can ask questions and we should let them do so. As for the OP, I have traveled more than once to Cape Town as a single female traveler and felt perfectly safe - as mentioned above, locals are friendly and helpful. As any city, take a cab at night if going longer distances. During the day I walked or took the hop on hop off bus everywhere and enjoyed every minute. You'll love Cape Town, hopefully you are seeing more of SA as well!

Naracoorte
reviews: 14
6. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

Thanks for making that your first post DougA. I give my time to answer hundreds of posts here because I love South Africa and spend time there every year. In the last week there have been several safety posts in the Capetown forum all asking the same thing. A little bit of research goes a long way. And I got my message across with being nasty and rude.

Bedfordshire
reviews: 92
7. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

It's as safe as you would find most cities... Usual sensible precautions to be taken... But what I have found is the people more friendly & helpful than most cities!

I often travel alone... & keep returning... Enjoy!

Berkshire, England
reviews: 61
8. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

Don't worry girls. You will be perfectly safe... just follow the usual rules you would for any major city in the world. Don't go out covered in expensive jewellery etc etc. We have been to Cape Town five times and absoloutely love it. You will too I'm sure. Hope you have a great time.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
reviews: 23
9. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

Yes!!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
reviews: 305
10. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

Hi

It's definitely safe! Just take the care you would in any city. I have been to Cape Town 4 times as 2 female travellers and this July I am travelling on my own.

I would walk or drive to most places during the day, and night have always used taxis. I've never had a problem!

Lisa

Reply to: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted