We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas to avoid in Capetown

Which Cape Town Central hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Signal Hill...
reviews: 21
Areas to avoid in Capetown

We will be visiting Capetown in September. We realize as in any city there is crime and areas where visitors shouldn't wonder into. Are there any areas in Capetown we should avoid?

Thank You.

Cape Town
1. Re: Areas to avoid in Capetown

In general I would not advise you to go anywhere looking like a diamond stud showing off all your touristy paraphernalia. I would not expect you to go into poor areas - like a shack town. If you stick to the tourist areas or ask your accommodation host you should be fine.

Regards

Johan Horak

Cape Town Accommodation Agency

Cape Town Central...
reviews: 11
2. Re: Areas to avoid in Capetown

Don't be put off by all the bad press you may hear. There are wonderful township tours that you would be silly to miss out on. Mzolis restaurant in the Guguletu township is frequented by mostly non-township residents and tourists. I cant imagine anyone not experiencing Mzolis!

The vast majority of capetonians are friendly and welcoming. But just to make sure you follow Johan's common sense advice and use your operators who can offer you better value and safer travel.

Ficksburg, South...
reviews: 88
3. Re: Areas to avoid in Capetown

The main areas are as safe as any other city. Just be sensible - don't walk around with cameras slung around your neck, gazing at a map, in the middle of the street and you will be as safe as any other city :)

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 105
4. Re: Areas to avoid in Capetown

I agree keep to the tourist areas and you'll be fine, Cape Town isn't any different from other cities, don't flash jewellery or expensive cameras and use your common sense.

Signal Hill...
reviews: 21
5. Re: Areas to avoid in Capetown

Thank you !

6. Re: Areas to avoid in Capetown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 27, 2014