We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stellenbosch without own car

Which Cape Town Central hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 15
Stellenbosch without own car

Hi

We would really like to spend time in Stellenbosch but is this possible without hiring a car? We don't want to join a tour group as already did that yesterday and we were disappointed with only an hour in the town. Would a taxi drive that far from capetown?

Many thanks

Johannesburg, South...
reviews: 13
1. Re: Stellenbosch without own car

I'm sure you'll find a taxi to drive you there, however this will cost you alot of money although this is probably the safer option. Another option is to take the Metro rail. There are regular trips from Cape Town station to Stellenbosch everyday. It's just over an hours trip and the last time I used the train the tickets were R15 one way - just make sure you buy the METROPLUS tickets. I've done this trip a few times without any problems but if you take the train there is a few precautions to take.

- Don't travel alone

- There is usually quite a few security guards on the trains, try to get into a cabin where they are stationed.

- When you buy the tickets you could ask for a chaperone, this service might be available, but I'm not sure.

- Don't flash anything valuable around

This is by far the cheapest way to get to Stellenbosch from CT.We took the train from Newlands to Kalkbay last weekend and it was fine but I've not taken this trip from Stellenbosch on the train for almost a year now, so maybe someone else here can give more advise on the safety aspect should you consider to use it.

The station in Stellenbosch is an easy 5 to 10 minute walk from the centre of town.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
2. Re: Stellenbosch without own car

We hired a car from thrifty and it only cost £18 per day all inclusive, it really is very easy to drive in South africa we think much easier than anywhere else and it would give you the freedom to go when and where you like.

Cape Town Central...
3. Re: Stellenbosch without own car

Taxi's will take you anywhere in Cape Town. If the cost is not too much of a problem then I would recommend hiring the cab for the day ex. this means he waits for you to call him. This will eliminate having to book a cab and they are late or don't pitch.

James Webb - Sales & Marketing - Taximan / Disa Tours

4. Re: Stellenbosch without own car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, December 16, 2013