We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typical Airfare for an August trip?

Which Cape Town Central hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England, UK
reviews: 17
Typical Airfare for an August trip?

Hello,

I was just looking at airfare for August 2013 and the average fare I am finding is £1100. We can only go in August as my 9 year old races (karts) almost every weekend with a two - three week break in August. Does this £1100 sound way too much? This would be our first trip and we accept that it will be winter, but £1100 per person just fly out would be a deal breaker. Tell me I am just checking too soon!

Berkhamsted, United...
reviews: 102
1. Re: Typical Airfare for an August trip?

I booked flights for next August just last week and paid less than that.

I did a multicity:

Heathrow - Jo'burg,

Jo'burg - George

Cape Town - Jo'burg

Jo'burg - Heathrow

And it was £3563 for 2 adults and 2 children which is under £900 each with SAA, including the two domestic flights.

Skyscanner.net is good for checking prices.

England, UK
2. Re: Typical Airfare for an August trip?

Thanks Sandy.

I was thinking of doing a multi-city with Dubai and flying with Emirates so we could get a few days of sun in the summer :-) I just assumed the fares would be about £500 - £600 pounds as the weather isn't great in August. Originally, we were thinking of going to Mauritius and the airfare from

LGW with a stop in Dubai is roughly £750.

Are my expectations regarding airfare to Cape Town too low?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
reviews: 7
3. Re: Typical Airfare for an August trip?

KLM have fares for £552 and I have never paid more than £560 in August (that was Emirates). SAA are very expensive for some reason - BA tend to have better offers for the direct flights....

England, UK
4. Re: Typical Airfare for an August trip?

Thanks Graham! I will keep watching the fares then. I thought the fares I got were a bit too high!

paris
reviews: 26
5. Re: Typical Airfare for an August trip?

TMM - We have always found that the longer we leave it the more it gets - normally buy tickets in April for the following January. However for various reasons left it until August this year by which time it was €120 each more than it would have been in April - as a matter of interest just checked what they would be if we had paid today and it would be yet another €60 each.As far a

Edited: 12:52 pm, October 07, 2012
England, UK
6. Re: Typical Airfare for an August trip?

Thanks Frenchpoodle! I plan to buy our tickets as soon as I know my son's racing calendar for next year. Hopefully, these details will be out in November. if we can get a great fare in November, I certainly will purchase the tickets then.

Cheers!

Tonya

paris
reviews: 26
7. Re: Typical Airfare for an August trip?

My previous post went unfinished; Started to say that we used to go each August but never had lower fares because of the time of year, fares to SA do not seem to be affected by season.

Edited: 12:57 pm, October 07, 2012
London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
8. Re: Typical Airfare for an August trip?

French poodle is correct. 8-10 months in advance you should find a reasonably cheap ticket. Last year we booked in Nov for August. This time we hope to do the same, although alas the great KLM and Air France fares currently on offer don't quite overlap with our dates. Will wait one more month and see if it changes..

England, UK
9. Re: Typical Airfare for an August trip?

Frenchpoodle, as you used to go in August how did you find the weather? I am assuming we will need jeans opposed to lightweight summer wear?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
10. Re: Typical Airfare for an August trip?

It depends where you go! Just came back from the north and eastern parts and we were swimming in pools and the sea (in August). Day time temps ranged from 21-32 and 3-15 at night. Went to Kruger, St Lucia (by the coast), Durban and the Drakensberg..