We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What part of Cape Town to stay in?

Which Cape Town Central hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
reviews: 3
What part of Cape Town to stay in?

I have done a lot of research on hotel in Cape Town and have narrowed it down to 3 places...the determining factor is the neighborhood and without context of the area, safety, parking and the relative travel time to the V&A, Greenmarket, camps bay and major roads in and out of town, i am at a loss at making my decision.

Here are my choices:

1. The Andros - Claremont

2. Protea North Wharf - 1Bree Street

3. Sugar Hotel-Green Point

My husband and I only have 3 personal days in Cape Town, so I really want to be strategic in where we stay. Any guidance would be really appreciated. Thank you.

cape town
reviews: 24
1. Re: What part of Cape Town to stay in?

Hi there

I can comment on the loactions - I live here - but not necessarily on the hotels:

Claremont is in the Southern Suburbs - we folk onthe Atlantic Sea Board refer to "the other side of the mountain" mind you they refer to us the same way! Anyway - nice area - not too far from town depending on when you travel. You would come into town/ Waterfront from the commuter side, so getting in in the morning can take 45 minutes plus and going back around 4.30 - 6pm the same. You would be close to Cavendish - nice shopping centre - and Kirstenbosch gardens. Claremont would not be my choice for 3 days in Cape Town

You don't say when you are here, but keep inmind taht Claremont loses the sun before the Atlantic Sea Board - and in winter you want the longer days where posssible.

Bree Street - here you are right in the centre of town - very convenient for the Waterfront, the City Bowl and Camps Bay (the latter being about 15 minutes drive)

Green Point - a lot of people like Green Point - but to me it is a bit of a "strip " of hotels - I drive past Sugar and it is part of the strip.

My choice of the three would be Bree Street for location though I don't know the hotel

Have you looked at the Waterkant area - i drove through there early this morning and it is looking so pretty . I hope I am not adding another choice to confuse you .

I do understand how difficult this is - we are going through similar with where to stay in Hong Kong - everything sounds great but you have to make a choice!

Anyway, i hope this is of some help

CTCT

South Coast
reviews: 41
2. Re: What part of Cape Town to stay in?

I agree with the previous responce. I my responce doesn't confuse you anymore but the Waterfront is a good base for 3 days (try the Breakwater Lodge for value or any of the hotels at the Waterfront if your budget can handle it). Otherwise Camps Bay is also a great location ... www.cbay-guesthouse.de is an afforable guesthouse in Camps Bay with great hosts, rooms from R500 a night. (website is in german but they speak english and the wife is a local so easily booked via email..great pool too).

Washington, DC
reviews: 3
3. Re: What part of Cape Town to stay in?

This is really helpful. And exactly the kind of feedback that I wanted and that is hard to find online...

Washington DC...
reviews: 43
4. Re: What part of Cape Town to stay in?

We just got back a few weeks ago (from Bethesda, MD). V&A is like the Inner Harbor in Baltimore, not sure I would stay right there unless you are into mall shopping (except Robben Island ferry). Figure out what you want to do in the 3 days, find out where it is, and stay near a main road, make sure you wake up to an ocean view. Nothing is more than a 1 hour drive away, so you'll be ok in any case. We did Camps Bay, was great, maybe 20 minutes to V&A.

5. Re: What part of Cape Town to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, September 08, 2009