We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon advice

Which Camps Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Derry, United...
reviews: 2
Honeymoon advice

Hi All

I am hoping you can help. I am currently planning my honeymoon for late September and so far the itinerary looks like this:

Flight: London to Cape Town (arrive 24th September)

Accommodation: 6 nights in Camps Bay

Flight: Cape Town to Port Elizabeth

Accommodation: 3 nights at the Pumba Game Reserve

Flights: Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg to Mauritius

Accommodation: 6 nights in Mauritius

Flight: Mauritius to London

This itinerary is very appealing, but also very costly. My partner and I are unsure yet, but maybe it might prove to be too costly for us. We have done a good bit of research and we feel we wouldn't like to drop either Camps Bay or the Safari from our itinerary, meaning that Mauritius might have to be removed :(

If we decide to spend our entire honeymoon in South Africa and drop Mauritius, we were wondering what else we should consider doing for say another 5/6 days or so. I guess the reason we liked the Mauritius option was because of the warm temperatures and the opportunity to do some snorkelling etc. As a side question, would the temperatures in Camps Bay late September be at least around 20 oC? Also I've heard a lot of comments about the wind in Camps Bay, is it a very windy area? I am just thinking about sitting on the beach, might not be very enjoyable if the wind is strong.

It would be great and really appreciated if you folks could put forth some suggestions. As you might already see from the above itinerary we don't plan on driving, however, I wouldn't rule it out entirely. We have been told that the excursions we would like to do could all be done via a tour company whilst based in Camps Bay.

I realise this is a long question, but any feedback would be very helpful as I am trying to ensure our honeymoon is well planned.

Thanks a lot.

Tony.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
1. Re: Honeymoon advice

I would fly Cape Town to Durban. You can do your safari and beach time here. Look at places 2+ hours drive north of Durban.

Edited: 6:56 am, February 10, 2013
Edinburgh
reviews: 39
2. Re: Honeymoon advice

I would recommend hiring a car. I think 6 days in Camps Bay without a car might otherwise be too much. Although the hop on hop off bus goes to Camps Bay, this would be an expensive way to get around. We found car hire really cheap and the driving was so easy. The roads are really good and having a car just gives you so much flexibility to see things at your own pace, without hoards of tourists. Don't miss the penguins at Boulder's Beach, Simons town or driving along Chapman's Peak. The Garden Route is also a really nice drive. I haven't been to Durban or anywhere in that region (yet) but understand there are lovely beaches and a lot to see such as the Drakensberg mountains. We are thinking of having our honeymoon in South Africa next year and will hopefully spend time in Kwazulu-Natal to hopefully get some good weather . There are meant to be some excellent safari options there as well which might be worth looking into instead of having to fly to Port Elizabeth.

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
reviews: 67
3. Re: Honeymoon advice

I think this a very nice itinerary- I would highly recommend it. Some cost cutting ideas.

One way to really cut spending, especially in Mauritius but also in Cape Town would be vacation rental. I do understand it is your honeymoon, but a luxury vacation rental is great, and the only thing you are really compromising is full board and a little bit of pampering. If you are interested in vacation rentals in Mauritius I have some tips. I have no business connection whatsoever, but I did vacation rentals in Mauritius it cost a fraction of hotels and the standard is very high. I would also consider it for CT. You wil be probably better off wih a car in CT, the money is well spend there.

Safari. You might want to consider Madikwe or Kruger area, the later being a low risk malaria area, Madikwe is malaria free. Why? Because the wild life experience should be better and it will safe you one domestic flight. There are low cost carriers from CPT to JNB, this is probably going to cost much less than flying CPT-PLZ-JNB, whereas the safari lodges might cost about the same. Madikwe is 4h drive from JNB, Kruger is 6h.

reviews: 22
4. Re: Honeymoon advice

We had our honeymoon in Cape Town in 1985 and got hooked on the place. We have just returned today from our 18th visit! We spent 1 week out of 3 in Camps Bay - the wind was a night mare. You definitely should hire a car and September is a brilliant time, spring, flowers coming out in bloom and whales that come so close to the shore you can almost touch them. Personally I'd bin Mauritius and stick with CPT and a safari. On the accomodation front have a look at a website called the Portfolio Collection, B&B's but in reality really amazing and affordable boutique hotels. A few days in Hermanus whale watching or chilling in Paternoster just up the West coast are also great options. Roads are good, food, value for money and service are usually as good as it gets-enjoy

Cape Town
5. Re: Honeymoon advice

I agree. You can save a lot of money with a vacation rental. There are really some lovely homes all around Cape Town.

Camps Bay and Clifton - especially Clifton, on Clifton beach has some real romantic vacation homes on the beach. And the beaches are famous.

You'll play at Camps Bay. There's a lot of places to have a lot of fun and it's not far from Clifton. You can even walk.

The Clifton waters are cold. On the False Bay side the waters are warmer. And you may like both sides.

Cape Town is a beach, city, nature, wine, culture, history and fun destination all in one.

But you will need a car.

I would suggest you do the read hop on hop off bus. And then explore on your own.

I would stay in Cape Town as long as possible.

I am a bit of of an adventurist. I may plan to get here, book accommodation in Cape Town and then plan my trip to other places along the coast. Drive down to Plettenberg Bay. You'll love the place and the drive.

On your way you can dive with sharks. And taste all the local little places. Plet is a honeymoon place. And the water is a lot warmer.

All along the way you can see whales during this time. Close to Cape Town in the False Bay area you can get on a boat and get a guaranteed viewing of whales during this time of the year.

I have to stop writing. ;-)

Have fun

Johan Horak

Cape Town Vacation Rental Advisor

Boston...
reviews: 7
6. Re: Honeymoon advice

Hi. My first draft honeymoon (which took place 13 months ago) was nearly identical. Ultimately, we replaced Mauritius with five days at a secluded beach resort just north of Durban, which was my wife's favorite part of the trip. We did 6 days in Cape Town, flew to Durban for a nearby 4 day safari (we were picked up at the airport by safari personnel), then were driven by staff to the beach resort for 5 days. We couldn't have been happier with the entire experience, and we loved all the people and places of ZA. Mauritius we heard mixed reviews about from friends who went, and we're glad with the route we chose. Look up Rocktail lodge or Thonga beach resort north of Durban for ideas. ... also, in Cape Town my wife and I self drove for two days (Cape Point, some touring), but also had good experiences with a private tour guide who took us to the wineries. ... Good luck.

Derry, United...
reviews: 2
7. Re: Honeymoon advice

Thanks folks. All your input is greatly appreciated.

Cape Town
8. Re: Honeymoon advice

Hi

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

I would cancel Mauritius and focus on SA. There is just so much to over. Cape Town and a safari is a definite MUST. There are also places close to Cape Town which are great like http://bit.ly/QrG4jp and Franshhoek, Hermanus etc.

You can go on Safari in Addo, Natal or the Kruger. The Drakensburg and Midlands in Natal is also beautiful.

In Camps Bay I would recommend: http://bit.ly/VgUQ2i

I hope you have a fantastic honeymoon and unforgettable stay in SA

9. Re: Honeymoon advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 03, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Camps Bay