We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re: Atlantic View and 51 on Camps Bay

Which Camps Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, CO, USA
Question re: Atlantic View and 51 on Camps Bay

My wife and I are planning a trip to South Africa in September, and we're having a tough time deciding between these two hotels for the last 3 nights of our trip. I've seen previous posts on these two but was hoping that someone could provide a little more detail about 51. I know it's a bit closer to the bars, restaurant, beach, etc., but I'm told that there is traffic noise and the rooms are a bit dated. Can anyone comment on this?

I'm familiar with the rave reviews of the Atlantic View, and we've been offered a pretty good deal on the Penthouse Suite, but it's still quite a bit more expensive than the deluxe suite at 51. I'm just trying to decide whether it's worth it or whether that money might be better spent at the fine restaurants of Camps Bay. I truly appreciate any comments or insight anyone might be willing to provide. We're really looking forward to the trip.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 30
1. Re: Question re: Atlantic View and 51 on Camps Bay

Have you had a look at this thread (the last post was a couple of days ago): "51 on Camps Bay vs Atlantic View Capetown Botique Hotel" ?

We've stayed at Atlantic View (but not 51), and in January we stayed at Whale Cottage (which is very near the beach, restaurants and shops, but is not in the same league as Atlantic View - tatty decor and could have been cleaner). We thought Atlantic View was exceptional - very luxurious, spectacular views, wonderful host, great art on the walls, generous sundowners every evening, excellent breakfasts. It's further from the beach but it was no problem getting a taxi to restaurants in the evenings. We found it quiet - we weren't disturbed by any noise at all. Atlantic View is expensive, but we thought it was worth the money and a real treat.

Denver, CO, USA
2. Re: Question re: Atlantic View and 51 on Camps Bay

Thank you for your response. I did see the other thread, and realized after I posted that I should have simply added on to that one. I'm certainly convinced that the Atlantic View is a great place. But, if possible, I would like to learn a little more about 51. The posts on the other thread concentrated on its good location, which is important. But at less than half the price of the Atlantic View, I'm a little skeptical of just how nice it can be. You typically get what you pay for, but perhaps 51 gives you a little more. Thanks again for you input on the Atlantic View.

3. Re: Question re: Atlantic View and 51 on Camps Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, October 18, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Camps Bay