We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel times on the garden route

manchester uk
reviews: 1
travel times on the garden route

Hello ,

can someone please help me to finalise our trip on the Garden Route . We have 2 weeks to enjoy starting and finishing in Cape Town from the 15th September to 28th September. With a hire car the plan includes 3 nights in Cape town , 1 night in Franschhoek,2 nights Hermanus,1 night Mossel Bay, 3 nights Plettenberg bay,1 night Oudtshoorn, 1 night Swellendam and then the last night back in Cape town .This all looks possible but as we have never been to the region before were not sure on the travel times on some of the longer journeys, Hermanus to Mossel bay is about 280 miles (448 klm) and Swellendam to Cape Town is about 170 miles (272 klm) are these distances realistic to do in 1 day or should we cut the itinary to spend more time walking and relaxing in the open air rather than being inside a car .Hope this makes sense.

Could someone also please advise on the availability of ATMs (cash machines)along the route from Cape Town to Plettenberg.

Thanks for showing your interest

Royston

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
1. Re: travel times on the garden route

Most large petrol stations (one with shops/take-aways) have ATMs. All reasonable sized shopping centres have ATMs.

Can't comment on distances. Next week Thursday, will be travelling 1100km from Port Elizabeth to Augrabies, so I think anything less than 500kms is a breeze.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
2. Re: travel times on the garden route

Outside of the big cities, driving in SA is easier than in UK in my opinion. I have driven Plettenberg to Cape Town easily in a day. From Hermanus to Mossel Bay would be a very easy day drive, even allowing for stops to eat etc. Once away from Hermanus just get on the N2, which is an excellent road. Generally the roads are much less busy than UK, drivers generally are courteous and pull over to let you pass. I would say, judge distances and driving times on how long it would take you in the UK on good "A" roads and that will give you a generous estimate. Driving on the left means you have no problem with having to drive on the "wrong" side of the road. As a very rough guide, speed limits are 60 Kph on minor roads/built up areas - 100 KPH on main roads and 120 KPH on dual carriageways but do check the signs. Service stations (Plaza's) often have cafe, shop, toilets and other facilities (like motorway service stations) so you should have no problem with ATMs. One other word of warning, we noticed last year the odd petrol station which accepted credit cards but generally they only accept cash (the pump attendants are great - tip them a couple of rands!). They are also fairly well spaced out so dont run low on petrol, top up when you have the chance. Hope this helps, any further queries just ask.

manchester uk
reviews: 1
3. Re: travel times on the garden route

lamlee and somersetal

thank you both for the information , you have made up my mind for me to do the tour we planned , its only a few weeks away now and we can't wait to go .

once again thank you

royston

4. Re: travel times on the garden route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, August 18, 2009