We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in....

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
reviews: 309
5 days in....

Hi

Just thought I would give you a brief update on the first 5 days of our holiday. Writing this watching the sun set over Walker Bay. For those of you heading to Hermanus, there are still loads of whales in the bay - I have seen dozens today!

Firstly the emirates flight, although longer was so more relaxing, that I arrived feeling very fresh and not at alll tired.

We started off in Constantia - a great base if you have visited before and don't neccessarily want to be in the city, or Camps Bay. I will write separate reviews but we loved White Lodge. It is pretty close to the Constantia Village Mall (good shopping here ladies and a Melissa's for a good value lunch!) and the service is top notch too. Fantastic meal at Societi Brasserie at Tokai and great value. We even came away with a free bottle of wine! Also great tapas at Bistro 1682 at Steenberg and a stunning setting to watch the sunset.

Lisa

Found a new favourite Cape Town beach, Scarborough and met lots of locals walking their dogs

Then we moved onto Stellenbosch. More wineries visited, although the weather spoilt one day. Jordan was fantastic (and we will do lunch theer on our next visit!). A winery I really enjoyed, which I have never seen mentioned on TA, is De Morgenzon - stunning Chenin and great, friendly tasting. Then did Uva Mira, Hidden Valley ( a little disappointing) and Guardian Peak ( v good steak lunch here), followed by Neil Ellis and Tokara

Stayed a Majeka House, which is excellent and food very good in the restaurant.

Now in Hermanus. Never much seen much written about resataurants in Hermanus but La Pentola was very good. Did some Walker Bay wineries on the way here - Bouchard Finlayson, La Vierge (much improved since 4 years ago and you can taste Domaine Deux wines there too - v good MCC), Hermanuspeterfontein (only 12 wines tasted here!), Sumaridge. Then the obligatory luncch at Mariana's in Stanford today - a must when in the area

Off to Paternoster tomorrow, via Durbanville! The car is already cliknking with wine bottes!!

Lisa

Ilkley, United...
reviews: 146
41. Re: 5 days in....

Such a shame - having to spit! At least he's making up for it now! In 3 weeks time we should be landing in CT! Not that I'm countind down :)

north yorkshire
reviews: 104
42. Re: 5 days in....

Booked for the picnic whilst we were there. Can't do picnics where you have to sit on the ground - can sit down but can't get up easily!!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
reviews: 309
43. Re: 5 days in....

Nick

You will really like Mo and Rose - can honestly say macsym isn't on commission!!! Food is excellent and make sure you leave time for a walk around the gardens. They are stunning

Joyce - that made me laugh! Did you like their late harvest wine at Buiterwachting. It is delicious

Lisa

Fordingbridge...
reviews: 143
44. Re: 5 days in....

Their rose goes very well with the picnic. If you fancy a beer to quench your pre lunch thirst, Adrienne does keep some but doesn't advertise the fact in case her husband finds out!! (He's the chief wine maker!).

Thanks Lisa. We'll certainly do that as we'll be having a huge celebration dinner later in the evening in Barrydale. (Celebrating our first night back again in SA!) :-)

Fordingbridge...
reviews: 143
45. Re: 5 days in....

The 2011 late harvest 1769 is a lovely dessert wine. However, my personal favourite is Vin de Constance from Buiten's near neighbour, Klein Constantia.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 84
46. Re: 5 days in....

Ah Lisa - I'm green with envy here in Edinburgh - (-6 last night) and the only wine to hand is Spanish red - which is not bad actually!

S.A. trip planning has now started!

47. Re: 5 days in....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, December 16, 2013