We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

turtles and hippos

Which Saint Lucia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
reviews: 2
turtles and hippos

We are staying at St lucia on 30 and 31 st Dec

Can we see hippos walking around the coast or is it best to take a boat - if so who is the best operator of hippo tours

Can we drive ourselves to Sowada bay and look for turtles - is it safe to drive at night? can we easily find the turtles or should we go on a tour? If we go on a tour who is the best operator departing from St Lucia

Thanks

Auckland, New...
reviews: 1
1. Re: turtles and hippos

Hi

The river that runs through St. Lucia has many hippo's in it and it is just a matter of walking up and down until you see some. You can also take the sundowner cruise and again you are sure to see many hippo's and crocodiles.

As for turtles I think that the best way to see these is to get an orgainized tour and you can arrange this from the place you are staying at - if you have no luck there , there are many operators in St.Lucia and you will have no problem in finding one.

PS - DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT BY YOURSELF.

St Lucia is a lovely place - I am sure you will have a great time.

San Diego, CA
2. Re: turtles and hippos

My wife and I were is St. Lucia earlier this month and stayed at the Hotel Protea St. Lucia. That afternoon we took the sundowner cruise and saw lots of hippos and crocodiles. That night, after dinner, we were relaxing in our poolside room when we were informed that there were two hippos right on the hotel grounds. They were only about 20 feet away. They roamed around eating grass and eventually left for the river. St. Lucia is a lovely, laid back place where you will feel safe. Have fun!

3. Re: turtles and hippos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, September 12, 2009