We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help. Need advice on how to do a safari from Nelspruit

Which Nelspruit hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Irvine, California
Help. Need advice on how to do a safari from Nelspruit

What are quick local destinations/hotel/accommodations that would allow me to get from Nelspruit (MQP airport) to see wildlife/safari for a couple of days. I cannot fly into Hoedspruit. Are there places that are close to the airport (~2hours or less) that you can do game drives and such?

Hazyview, South...
reviews: 10
1. Re: Help. Need advice on how to do a safari from Nelspruit

Most accommodation providers of the towns along the KNP, close to the airport, will be able to accommodate and organise game drives into the park for you, such as White River, Hazyview, etc. Hazyview with app. 1 hour drive and White River with app. 20 miutes drive from and to MQP.

I assume you will be mobile (car hire) as you can also do self drives inside KNP and/or even stay in one of the SANpark camps inside KNP.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Johannesburg, South...
2. Re: Help. Need advice on how to do a safari from Nelspruit

Hi Jason,

You have 2 options depending on your budget. The first is exactly what Klaus said, and he is based in Hazyview so is very well placed to advise you or you can stay in the camps in the Kruger National Park itself and self drive.

The second and more expensive option, is to book a couple nights in a private safari lodge bordering Kruger, which is the more luxury option, giving you access to guided daily game drives, morning and afternoon/evening done by experienced guides and trackers, all meals, bush walks etc. The drive to these lodges is about 2 - 2 1/2 hrs. The rates for these lodges do vary greatly, so your budget will be a factor in your decision of which lodge or whether you opt for Kruger National Park.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Moscow, Russia
reviews: 1
3. Re: Help. Need advice on how to do a safari from Nelspruit

Hi Jason

When are you arriving in South Africa or Nelspruit? We are traveling there by car and might be able to give you a lift, since we are going to a Safari ourselves...

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
reviews: 22
4. Re: Help. Need advice on how to do a safari from Nelspruit

To say that there are places to do game drives would certainly be an understatement, seeing you will be so close to Kruger Park.

Its just a matter of how you do it.

The big question is do you want to self drive and stay right inside Kruger in the National Park accommodation, it is basic but clean and very budget friendly if this is an issue. You can then drive around the park at leisure enjoying the thrill of finding animals yourself with all the flexibilty you want.

Another option as Klaus mentioned is to use a tour group that takes you into the park, usually picks you up in an open jeep or truck or similar, this gives you a guide but no flexibility. Some go just a few hours, some all day. You will get many different opinions on this option, personally if you have a car I would choose self drive, much more comfortable flexible and fun!

Otherwise as Brett has suggested a private and much more expensive lodge in a reserve adjacent to Kruger, all inclusive, but this depends again on budget.

These options all give you very different experiences, in costs, luxury level and game viewing.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
reviews: 22
5. Re: Help. Need advice on how to do a safari from Nelspruit

As for the last suggestion of getting a lift from a perfect stranger to an unknown safari destination....mmm that's up to you

Irvine, California
6. Re: Help. Need advice on how to do a safari from Nelspruit

Klaus - great comments, thank you. Can you see the Big 5 while doing game drives from Hazyview and White River? Are there advantages from a wildlife perspective by choosing one over the other? I will not be renting a car, so do accommodations usually have a transfer service, or do I need to arrange that through a transfer company?

Brett - thank you for your comments. I only have a 1/2 day (afternoon) and a full day before I have to leave the following day to get back for a flight. I believe that leaves me a PM game drive on Day 1, an AM and a PM drive on Day 2, and then a transfer to the airport on Day 3. Given that schedule I want to limit the length of drive/transfer to the game lodge/area. Also, I do not prefer to rent a car but instead use some sort of car service or transfer. My preference in accommodations is to have a moderately priced facility, and don't care whether that means in Kruger or a inexpensive B&B type. I would prefer the accommodation have a guide/tour I can join. I am not looking at the expensive lodge option, since I have a moderate budget. Is there a Kruger option where the accommodations are decent and there are tours/guides or if you stay in Kruger, you are on your own?

Thesandmans - thanks. So same question, are there decent accommodations in Kruger (maybe near Hazyview) that (1) I could get a service to take me to (since I won't have a car) (2) that could arrange a guided tour. Given the limited time/days I have to see Kruger and I prefer the least stressful option, I think I want to avoid driving from the airport and inside Kruger. Would enjoy your opinions.

Thanks all!

SOUTH AFRICA
7. Re: Help. Need advice on how to do a safari from Nelspruit

Given the fact that you would prefer not to self drive, don't want to break the budget, and don't have much time to allocate to your safari, I would recommend that you consider an option like Nkambeni Tented Lodge. www.nkambeni.com

Nkambeni is in the southern section of the Kruger National Park.

Their rates are very reasonable, they will collect you from the airport, and you can pay per activity that you take part in.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Edited: 6:15 am, July 29, 2013
Randburg, Gauteng...
reviews: 33
8. Re: Help. Need advice on how to do a safari from Nelspruit

Hello, another option is to stay close to the entrance to the Kruger Park at the southern section of the park, just 60 minutes drive from Nelspruit airport. You can be met at the airport, transported to your lodge, check in, and at 2.30pm depart for a half day drive in an open vehicle into the Kruger Park with a Ranger. Return around 6pm.

The next day you can do a full day game drive in an open vehicle from 6am to 4pm into the Kruger Park as well.

Then you would be transported back to the airport by a transfer company. Lodges and guest houses in this area are very reasonably priced, so a good option to consider.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

9. Re: Help. Need advice on how to do a safari from Nelspruit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, November 21, 2014