We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KNP Camp Access Roads

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 93
KNP Camp Access Roads

Hello,

I recently reads posts discussing rental car damages & the conditions of KNP camp acess roads.

We will be stopping at Croc Bridge and staying at Lower Sabie, Skukuza & Satara. Are the access roads to these camps in bad condition?

We will be renting an automatic sedan from MQP/KMIA/Nelpruit, as there are no automatic SUVs listed on the AVIS website (although I have seen previous posts/mentions of automatic SUVs) and are concerned about the low profile vehicle undercarraige being damaged.

All insight would be appreciated. Thanks

20 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
reviews: 23
1. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

I have not been to KNP for a while, but, unless things have really deteriorated badly since then, you should have no problems.

Many of the KNP roads are tarred, and the gravel ones are generally well maintained.

I have never been to the KNP in a 4X4, or SUV.

Ordinary sedan cards are fine.

In fact, even the old VW beetle, and Mini's do (did) OK.

I was last there in a Hyundai sedan, and last month, my daughter's in laws went in their Mercedes Benz C class... no problems at all. Just don't try to do "off roading" ( not allowed anyway)!

Naracoorte
reviews: 14
2. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

As Gavin says, all camps access roads are extremely well maintained and all main camps have tar road access. The gravel roads in the park are well graded. We also have never used anything but a sedan in KNP and it is not a problem at all.

Phoenix, Arizona
3. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

Thank you Gavin and Tryhard. I will disregard previous posts concerning camp access road conditions.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
reviews: 22
4. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

All the main camps including the ones you are booked at are located on the main tar roads, so you have nothing to worry about.

On the gravel roads you will get assorted conditions. We have been amazed at how smooth some are, but others can be quite potholed. Graders work regularly but there some 2000+ kms of roads to maintain so it’s a big job and also weather has an effect.

Just keep an eye out for potholes and corrugations, and do spend some time at Sunset Dam across the road from Lower Sabie, it’s a bit potholed but well worth a visit lol

Enjoy

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
5. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

Perhaps you were reading about KTP? Kagalagadi/Kalahari - there the roads are truely horrid.

Phoenix, Arizona
6. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

tryhard - thanks for the warning about sunset dam, we are planning to spend some time there. We are planning to drive some of the gravel roads between LS & Croc Bridge, the S83 Marula Loop, maybe Salitje Rd., the S32 near Tshokwane and maybe the S100 loop during our visit. And of course various tarred roads.

lamlee - I am pretty sure i was following a post which started with a discussion about rental car insurance, then diverted to undercarraige damage may/may not be covered, then diverted to KNP camp entrance roads conditions. The camps were not named, so I asked about the camps I plan on visiting.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
reviews: 22
7. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

That’s good, the potholes are really only in the parking area as you drive in to the dam, you wont miss seeing them.

The Maroula loop is well known for lions, and also leopard, we spent time with a big pride there recently. We love the Tshokwane area, have had amazing elephant sightings there, including right at the picnic spot and also at Kumana Dam. Last time there was a pair of mating lions just north of the picnic spot right on the road side! Have also seen lions on the S125 close by.

When you do the S100 try to include the S41 and H6. S41 has been very kind to us. Lots of lions in this area and recently we saw two pair mating at the Gudzani waterhole [west side], three days in a row.

Big prides down near Croc Bridge, you may hear them during the night so make sure you get out early to check the roads around camp. S25 worth doing and also S28/Dukes Waterhole area. Good general game areas.

Enjoy

Phoenix, Arizona
8. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

thesandmans - Thanks for the additional self drive tips

Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 2
9. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

Have you tried Herttz?

They do have automatic KIA Sportage at KMIA, they have a higher clearance than sedans, which is also good for game viewing.

Sydney
reviews: 17
10. Re: KNP Camp Access Roads

CTM, Avis do have SUV s as I mentioned in my reply to your email .Toyota Fortuners ( raised body and non ) as well Hyundais. And do re- read Post re rental insurance / car hire ( dont get caught out ).

Reply to: KNP Camp Access Roads
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted