We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berg-en-dal to OR Tambo Airport

Which Kruger National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town Central...
Berg-en-dal to OR Tambo Airport

Hi we have booked our accomodation for our first trip to Kruger National Park for next October. I want to book our flights but am unsure how much time to allow for getting back to OR Tambo airport, checking in rental car, etc if we left Berg-en-dal when the gates opened. There is a flight at 2pm & another at 4pm. Would I be really pushing it to make the 2pm flight?

Also what would be the best route?

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Western Cape, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
reviews: 37
1. Re: Berg-en-dal to OR Tambo Airport

At Berg-en-Daal you will be very close to the Park gate that will lead you to the N4 hghway. Travel west for about 4 hours and be prepared to leave the N4 at exit 429. IMPORTANT - Exit 429B to Boksburg is the first ramp off the N4, but you continue three hundred metres and take the exit to Pretoria and OR Tambo airport. After that, just follow the signs. Another 10 minutes and you will be at the airport. Signs there will lead you to the Rental Car turnin area inside the big garage.

You didn't indicate whether you are catching an international or a domestic flight.. but if you actually leave Kruger when the gate opens, you should be at the airport no later than 1030AM, in my opinion, and probably sooner.

Edited: 8:24 am, November 10, 2013
Cape Town Central...
2. Re: Berg-en-dal to OR Tambo Airport

Thanks for your reply! We are catching a domestic flight home to Cape Town so I can comfortably book the earlier flight.

Randburg, Gauteng...
reviews: 32
3. Re: Berg-en-dal to OR Tambo Airport

Hello, I have driven that route many times, and i suggest if you leave at 6am, the route takes you through Nelspruit and then continue on the N4 straight to ORTambo. Do not take the exit to Pretoria, it is the long way around. Just keep left at the split just close after Witbank. If you dont stop, it could take 4 hours. But hopefully, the road works near Malalane are completed by then. also if by any chance, there is a hold up on the N4, like heavy rain ( I have just come back from that area with guests and encountered heavy mist and then further on heavy rain which made travelling at speed unsafe, so have to travel in the mist at around 40km per hour) If you encounter bad weather, you could be delayed. So i would definitely err on the side of caution. It would be far better to arrive early, and have a cup of coffee, instead of stressing that you will miss your flight. Then you can still return your car without any problems. 2pm flight should be fine, you have to check in at 1pm. so plenty of time still.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Johannesburg, South...
reviews: 6
4. Re: Berg-en-dal to OR Tambo Airport

I agree with Lyn you must keep left where the road split. Had some client that took the Pretoria way and it took them much longer to get to the airport.

Cape Town Central...
5. Re: Berg-en-dal to OR Tambo Airport

Thank you Lyn! I have saved your directions for our trip next year. Accomodation & flights are booked, now just the long wait till October 2014.

Reply to: Berg-en-dal to OR Tambo Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted