We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephants Drift or Kapama for family

Atlanta
reviews: 5
Elephants Drift or Kapama for family

Today I booked tickets for our family's trip to South Africa next summer and am looking for a few nights at a private game reserve to compliment some time in the rest camps. We can afford $600-800 per night total for 2-3 nights, which I know means Sabi is out. Our children are aged 6-12.

I've finally settled on two places (a friend just returned from one with rave reviews). Does anyone have an opinion on Elephants Drift compared to one of the Kapama lodges (River or Southern, I think)? I imagine this is going to boil down to which reserve is better: Klaserie or Kapama.

5 replies to this topic
Western Cape, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
reviews: 40
1. Re: Elephants Drift or Kapama for family

How many children? Just the two ages 6 & 12? I would also look at Simbavati River camp in Timbavati. Of the 2 you asked about - I say Kapama. Mohlabetsi might work, too.. they will have a 3-for-2 during our summer, their winter.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edinburgh, United...
2. Re: Elephants Drift or Kapama for family

Hi there, we were thinking about Elephants Drift - can I ask why you suggest Kapama would be better - especially as it is a fenced reserve?

Randburg, Gauteng...
reviews: 32
3. Re: Elephants Drift or Kapama for family

Hello, i have not stayed at Elephants Drift, but can give you feedback on Kapama. Although it is fenced, they have recently expanded with additional land, so it is much bigger now. I have stayed at Main Lodge and River lodge and we had excellent food, service and game viewing was excellent. Sorry i cannot compare with Elephants Drift because not been there.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree TOurs and Safaris

Western Cape, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
reviews: 40
4. Re: Elephants Drift or Kapama for family

I just saw your question, Claire.. I have been offline for about a week. I suggested Simbavati first, for the family that posted the question. I spoke for Kapama because of my own experiences there. The fencing never really came into view that I can recall. Like other posters in this thread, I have no personal knowledge of Elephants Drift. My comments were not so much against it - but rather for places I can comfortably recommend.

reviews: 5
5. Re: Elephants Drift or Kapama for family

If you want canned tourist package with amenities go to Kapama.

If you want authentic South African bush experience go to Klaserie.There are other camps to look at such as Gomo Gomo and Senalala.

You will see the same game in both places.

Ex South African with over a year in the bush

Reply to: Elephants Drift or Kapama for family
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted