We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best game lodge for 2 night stay - May 2014

Clarksdale...
Best game lodge for 2 night stay - May 2014

Any opinions welcome! We are traveling to SA in May of 2014. We will have two nights to stay in Kruger and wondering what game reserve/lodge would give us the best bang for our buck in such a short time. Any suggestions?

South Africa
reviews: 14
1. Re: Best game lodge for 2 night stay - May 2014

Hi mgauburn, best game lodge can mean different things to different people. To some, it is simply the cheapest or most affordable game lodge. To some, budget is not a factor and they are looking for the most luxury, or best views from the lodge, or best game viewing overall. A couple celebrating a honeymoon or anniversary may look for different things than a family with young children. Other things that may be important to you are the quality of food, quality of guiding, size of traversing area, privacy and exclusivity during game drives, number of people on the vehicle, etc.

Going on your phrase best bang for your buck, I'm guessing you're looking for a good mix of excellent game viewing, food, traversing and quality of accommodation, all for a reasonable price. If you have only 2 nights, I would recommend choosing a lodge in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve (part of the Greater Kruger National Park) in a shared traversing area so you have a large number of vehicles calling in sightings. Based on this I would recommend you look at a lodge like Dulini Game Lodge if your budget allows a luxurious upmarket game lodge, Inyati Game Lodge for a mid-range budget, and perhaps Elephant Plains Game Lodge if your budget is more limited. (And don't misunderstand me - both Inyati and Elephant Plains also offer a lot of luxury). I've always had excellent sightings at all three of these lodges and you won't go wrong with any of them, in my opinion.

Hope this helps and enjoy your safari!

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Johannesburg, South...
2. Re: Best game lodge for 2 night stay - May 2014

Hi mgauburn,

I agree with Onne. The Sabi Sands would be my recommendation for a 2 nighter. I think it will give you the best game viewing opportunities in the limited time you have. Exactly which lodge will depend on your budget. There are many lodges at vastly varying rates from about ZAR2000 per person per night up to ZAR 12000 per person per night.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Clarksdale...
3. Re: Best game lodge for 2 night stay - May 2014

Thank you for the information. Quality of food, quality of guiding are first and foremost for us! We will be in SA for 2 weeks but only have two nights to commit to a "safari" stay at one of the lodges. I will check into Sabi Sands. Thanks again!

South Africa
reviews: 14
4. Re: Best game lodge for 2 night stay - May 2014

Have a look at Dulini, Londolozi, or Lion Sands, all within the Sabi Sand Game Reserve and all fantastic lodges, priced between $600 and $900 pp. These are by no means the only great lodges in the Sabi Sand, there are many more you can look at but being overwhelmed with choice sometimes makes the decision more difficult. These lodges all have some great guides, but be aware that most lodges employ a number of guides with different skill levels and personalities, and some of them or more experienced than others. So it is luck of the draw sometimes. Regarding food, sometimes we get mixed reviews regarding the food at a specific lodge because people have such different tastes and standards, but I've personally never had any complaints about the food at these specific lodges.

5. Re: Best game lodge for 2 night stay - May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 16, 2014