We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire for self drive in kruger: Some doubts

mumbai
reviews: 9
Car Hire for self drive in kruger: Some doubts

Hi,

We are heading to Kruger in Aug.

As we will be landing in johannesburg after a long flight, we're planning to take a transfer by road (driven by a chauffeur) from Jo'burg to Nelspruit.

At Nelspruit, we plan to hire a car and drive to our accomodation so that we have the car from the next day on wards for drives into the park.

a) I see that Europcar gives me a more competitive (read as cheaper) quote than Avis

b) I also see that a broker like Argus car hire gives a quote that is still cheaper plus has covered insurance

* Which would be the better option to go with? (my concern here is primarily that If I go for the cheaper one, will the quality of the car be compromised)

* What should I ideally cover myself with (in terms of insurance - theft / collision etc). What do these mean? Does paying a certain cover mean that the liability in case of a collision / theft is limited to a great extent?

* What do the terms of the argus car hire rental really mean.

* So what covers should i pay and put my mind to rest

I'm sure the senior members of the forum can help me here.

Many thanks

Govind

Naracoorte
reviews: 14
1. Re: Car Hire for self drive in kruger: Some doubts

We use brokers and they supply cars from Europcar, Thrifty etc so the quality of vehicle is the same.

Can't advise on insurance. It is for the individual to read the terms and conditions of rental contracts thoroughly.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup
reviews: 3,110
2. Re: Car Hire for self drive in kruger: Some doubts

>>>>As we will be landing in johannesburg after a long flight, we're planning to take a transfer by road (driven by a chauffeur) from Jo'burg to Nelspruit.<<<<

Why not just rent your car directly from the O Tambo airport and drive to Nelspruit on your own. Its very simple to use the motorways in South Africa, all signs are in English and the motorways are in good condition these days.

Mumbai (Bombay...
reviews: 63
3. Re: Car Hire for self drive in kruger: Some doubts

Hi,

Check out Hertz..When I planned they were offering good deal among all other company..

How many days u planned for Kruger? Planning to stay in private reserve? If short trip renting a car from Nelspruit wont be of much use.

4. Re: Car Hire for self drive in kruger: Some doubts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 27, 2014