We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive Times Between Camps?

Maui, Hawaii
Drive Times Between Camps?

I just booked accommodation in Kruger for 4 nights in July (we will drive ourselves). There wasn't much available for the nights we're going, so I basically booked what they had. Now I'm nervous about driving times between camps. Did I under-estimate the drive times?

Our itinerary:

First Night: Pretoriuskop

Second Night: Tamboti

Third Night: Skukuza

Fourth Night: Lower Sabie

Would love to hear your thoughts! I can still change my reservation without penalty.

Thanks in advance.

Hazyview, South...
reviews: 10
1. Re: Drive Times Between Camps?

to Tamboti is the longest distance but easily manageable. Calculate about 25 km/h (game viewing speed)

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Boston...
reviews: 7
2. Re: Drive Times Between Camps?

You are doing nice loop for sure.....feels rushed to change camps every night but if its the hand you were dealt.... :) Still, very manageable.

I am glad you were able to get these.

Have fun and happy sightings.

Cheers,

Heeten, Swagat at Kruger Park Lodge, Hazyview & Boston

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
3. Re: Drive Times Between Camps?

As Klaus says, the longest drive will be Pretoriuskop to Tamboti. I also agree with him to reckon on an average of around 25 km/hour as you are in the Park to view the animals so you are going to be stopping and admiring as you go along. Just in case you don't have them here are the distances between Camps

Pretoriuskop > Tamboti 180 km

Tamboti > Skukuza 140 km

Skukuza > Lower Sabie 45 km

The drive up to Tamboti and back will give you a chance to see a bit more of Kruger than just the southern end.

Enjoy.

north yorkshire
reviews: 18
4. Re: Drive Times Between Camps?

Changing camp every night is easy as long as you just have an overnight bag rather than unpacking and repacking the whole trunk . . . the journey in between is just an exciting game drive. There are those of us who would choose to do this so don't worry about it. Take a cool box with your picnic lunch and drinks in, binoculars at the ready, identification books, etc. Your longest drive will take 5 hours plus but wouldn't you be out game driving all day anyway - after all that's what most of us go for! Not hot in July so you are not going to be lounging around the pool midday. owever, you should go on a night drive at least once IMO, perhaps from Lower Sabie where you will not have had such a long journey. Perhaps, even a game walk?

London, United...
5. Re: Drive Times Between Camps?

Excellent advice all round. I would like to add that I wouldn't stay in more than 2 camps over a 4 night stay. It seems rather hectic otherwise..

6. Re: Drive Times Between Camps?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 28, 2014