We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should we buy a 4x4 in Tanzania to travel around Africa

Which Kruger National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
should we buy a 4x4 in Tanzania to travel around Africa

Hey everyone!! need some help in planning,

My wife and I are planning a trip to Africa in August 2013 for 3 months wooo

we fly into dar es salaam then make our way to Zambia Malawi and Mozambique and fly out of south africa.

Need some tips on how to travel around when we are there. I love traveling DIY so i want to rent a car but looking at the price and the different county part it's going to be hard. Was thinking we buy a car and try and sell before we fly out in south africa ( are you aloud to do this?).

Any other comments on traveling Africa would be much appreciated.

Thanks Sam & Bryony

north yorkshire
reviews: 17
1. Re: should we buy a 4x4 in Tanzania to travel around Africa

Not as easy as it sounds. When travelling in between countries in Africa you will need to have documentation (carnet de passage) which is a customs document. You will need separate insurances for the different countries in many cases. You will also have to pay import duty in the final country where you plan to leave the vehicle. Also vehicles are more expensive in Africa than they are here (at least if you want something decent!), mainly because of the import duty and restrictions.

You will also need to have a good working knowledge of basic repairs (garages few and far between, spares hard to come by) and be able to drive a 4x4 in some very different conditions (mud, deep sand, rocky and poorly maintained tracks, etc).

We have driven in many African countries, broken down in several, fought our way through customs, got stuck in mud and floods, changed loads of tyres, negotiated road blocks, been pulled over by police, etc. However, we are going back again in two months time (self-driving of course).

if you are possibly going in three months time and asking the basic questions above you seriously have to consider if you are ready.

London, United...
2. Re: should we buy a 4x4 in Tanzania to travel around Africa

How else can you be ready without asking?

north yorkshire
reviews: 17
3. Re: should we buy a 4x4 in Tanzania to travel around Africa

Granted you can't, neither can you be ready without the skills that I mentioned. The last point was one of caution not a reprimand, samforbes0. Keeping safe has to be a priority - and I am definitely not a "health and safety nut"!

4. Re: should we buy a 4x4 in Tanzania to travel around Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 24, 2014