We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger- 4/5 nights, rest camps, self drive

Chicago, Illinois
Kruger- 4/5 nights, rest camps, self drive

We are honeymooning in South Africa- we arrive In Johannesburg 8/30/13 at 0700. We want to leave for Kruger by car on 8/31 or 9/1- we want to stay in the park at rest camp bungalows for 4 or 5 nights- we would like to see the big five- we don't care much about bird watching. Please recommend a good route and which camps to stay in. All tips are appreciated!

Thanks!

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 10
1. Re: Kruger- 4/5 nights, rest camps, self drive

Hi Emily,

I don't usually respond to posts of this nature looking for accommodation over a specific period, unless I can specifically help directly.

A week ago I booked 5 consecutive nights in Kruger restcamps (from the 8/31/13, departing on 9/05/13 (5 nights) - the arrangement is Satara (2 x Bungalows x 2 nights, 1 x EH1 hut and 1 x EH3 hut x 2 nights, and 2 x safari tents at Crocodile Bridge). My group cancelled, and I was about to cancel this afternoon, but the website was down. We can add on a few days if you're interested.

I was about to cancel tomorrow by phone. The booking is valid for another two weeks. I don't mind cancelling or using myself (they are the best combo of camps IMO).

If you're interested in taking over the booking, let me know by pm. The combonation is perfect for self-drive (and I might be able to provide a vehicle).

Edited: 3:53 pm, May 20, 2013
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
reviews: 22
2. Re: Kruger- 4/5 nights, rest camps, self drive

Hi there.

If you can stretch your booking to five nights that would be better as of course you will get to see even more.

Agree Satara is one of the best and most popular camps, generally known for big cat sightings. Our first ever stay in the camps was five nights and was a combo of Lower Sabie and Satara. Now we go for longer and include Skukuza and also Olifants which is further north.

If you stay at Satara for say three days, you can do some great drives from there, including the well known S100 area and much more. You can also head north for a day and stop at Olifants camp for a break and to enjoy the amazing river views, well worth it.

If you stay at Skukuza or Lower Sabie or even Croc Bridge for the other couple of days you have endless drive options all in wonderful game rich areas. We have had amazing sightings around Skukuza, it is the biggest camp and therefore more crowded but that does not worry us, we stay in the quiet area overlooking the river. The road between Skukuza and LS is also a great drive especially later in the day when the elephant herds cross the road to get to the river for their evening sundowners.

My concern is as BK says, getting a booking, Lower Sabie especially gets booked out well ahead, we have been unable to get in for November and started looking a couple of months ago. We did book a couple of nights at Crocodile Bridge this time, it is closer to the gates but still ideal for game viewing.

The only other thing I will mention is your desire to see the big 5. Yes you do have a good chance of seeing most of them the longer you stay but it is not guaranteed. Last trip it was a week before we sighted our first big cats, it was in the Satara area, and the whole two weeks we did not sight leopard at all apart from a long distance. This was not a concern as we were going to a private reserve afterwards where we saw heaps of leopard, but just something you need to be aware of. Elephant, buffalo and rhino we saw plenty, elephants especially up north near Olifants are commonly seen.

On the other hand you could drive in the gate and see a leopard within five minutes, it's all luck on the day.

I do hope however you will appreciate the other wildlife in the park. There are many wonderful creatures to enjoy, big and small. Giraffe, zebra, hyena, wild dog, jackal, beautiful birds, and so much more.

Boston...
reviews: 7
3. Re: Kruger- 4/5 nights, rest camps, self drive

I agree with the above.

Let me add that Berg-en-Dal is smaller camp is well situated for game viewing.

Also Biyamiti in the south is smaller and mush more secluded (no restaurants or shops) but it is very popular and you may have a hard time finding a booking.

There is so much to Kruger than the Big 5 so go in with an open mind rather than a fixation on the Big 5. I have always found that the big cats find you rather than you finding them.

If finding a place inside Kruger proves to be difficult, look at a place like Hazyview which 10 minutes from the Phabeni Gate and close to restaurants 7 supermarkets. You can also book game drives and bush walks with the SANParks when staying outside Kruger.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Heeten, Swagat at Kruger Park Lodge, Hazyview & Boston

4. Re: Kruger- 4/5 nights, rest camps, self drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 24, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park