We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire & insurance

Dublin
reviews: 21
Car hire & insurance

I think I have narrowed down my car hire search to a Hyundai Atos from carhire3000, will this type of car be ok in Kruger for two people?

The Atos is coming with a standard SA policy and no excess, should i get additional insurance?i would really appreciate any advice as I have never hired a car before, is here anything else I need to be aware of when it comes to hiring the car?

We will be driving from Nelspruit airport, would I need to get GPS?

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
reviews: 43
1. Re: Car hire & insurance

The Atos is very small, but roads you will be using are good. I see no benefit to having a GPS, if you have a map. There are several Kruger gates you might use, coming from the Nelspruit airport - so, pick the one that serves whichever camp you are going to, and figure out which road to take to get to it. As for getting more insurance - if you do not, you are essentially insuring it yourself. None of us can tell you of any other reason to get it, or not get it. It's insurance. Either you pay for it, or you take the risk yourself.

Pullman, Washington
2. Re: Car hire & insurance

Well, I did have a similar query. I am looking for an automatic car suggestion (no experience of driving manual) given the fact that there are gravel roads to traverse. Any help in narrowing down an option for a car to accommodate two people will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
reviews: 43
3. Re: Car hire & insurance

The best price I find for an automatic is the Hyundai Accent, from Avis. None of the smaller cars has automatic. I would go to Avis.co.za and find the link to their International Visitors special.. You could also go to Avis.com and try using one of these AWD discount codes, K019370 or K019379. The little box for the AWD code does not show up when pricing the International Visitors rates - just on the 'regular' booking page.

Edited: 2:19 am, May 19, 2013
Pullman, Washington
4. Re: Car hire & insurance

Great! Thank you so much for the advise. I shall definitely keep that in mind. I understand Ascent is not an all wheel drive car and was wondering if that is something I should also consider given the gravel roads?

Thanks again...

Dublin
5. Re: Car hire & insurance

The plan is to drive from Nelspruit to Hazyview and then enter Kruger via Phabeni Gate.

I think I will go for a bigger car if the Atos is very small as we will be spending 7 days in it, so want to be comfortable.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
reviews: 23
6. Re: Car hire & insurance

wanderlust_2010_09,

You do not need a 4 X 4 ( all wheel drive) vehicle to travel the gravel roads in South African Game reserves. The gravel roads are generally very well maintained. The only time you would need a 4 X 4 vehicle would be if you intend actually going off road, into the bush.... Something not allowed in The Kruger National Park.

In addition, a 4 X 4 will cost more to hire, insure, and will be heavier on fuel consumption than a 4 X 2 vehicle. (Automatics also use more fuel.. about 10%, than manuals)

Dublin
7. Re: Car hire & insurance

Also meant to add regarding insurance in Ireland I have fully comprehensive insurance on my car which covers everything, for peace of mind I would like something similar for the car hire, I'm getting confused as what I need to pick to get this full cover e.g windscreen, tires etc

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
8. Re: Car hire & insurance

I have been unable to find any SA car hire company who offer "comprehensive" cover, ie you are covered for all and any damage.

What I do these days (after a bad experience with SA car hire insurance) I take the standard insurance offered - CDW & Theft with an "excess". I then take out an additional policy with someone like

www.questor-insurance.co.uk or www.insurance4carhire.com. They will cover any "excess" on your hire car company insurance plus cover for wheels/undercarriage/glass etc It is about as near to "comprehensive" that I have found. Would be interested if anyone has found a different way of getting "comprehensive" cover in SA

Pullman, Washington
9. Re: Car hire & insurance

Gavin S,

Thanks much for the advise. It is indeed very helpful for planning.

Dublin
10. Re: Car hire & insurance

Thanks Somersetal, I will have a look at the sites :)