We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing for safari@Kruger in 1st week Dec

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 1
Clothing for safari@Kruger in 1st week Dec

We (2 adults + kids aged 16,12 & 8) will be going to the Kruger (staying at Marloth Park) in the 1st week of dec, and have following questions about clothing:

1) How essential is it to wear 'neutral' color (beige/brown/olive?) clothing if we'll just be on open safari vehicle and not likely going on any bush walk? My 8-yr old is a girl and, doesn't have many neutral colour clothing at present and it seems a waste to need to revamp her wardrobe just for this trip.

2) Read some websites that advised no blue or black clothing as these attract insects. Does this mean no denim jeans or black jackets?

3) Understand early morning & night drives can be cold. Are fleece, gloves and scarves really needed?

Appreciate some views/advice on this.

DK

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
reviews: 22
1. Re: Clothing for safari@Kruger in 1st week Dec

Hi there,

No need for a new wardrobe at all. Most people do generally dress a little neutral, but I would mainly just wear clothes that are comfortable and plain, rather than florals, floaty dresses and so on. On our first ever safari we were a bit shocked when one of the men had on a bright red and white striped jumper that looked like a target !! But really it was fine and I have since worn jeans, pink, blue, green tops but always a bit on the quiet side, rather than anything loud.

However if you think there is a chance you will join a bush walk then yes you must wear the neutrals, you do not have a vehicle to 'blend in' with.

I do stand to be corrected here but I believe blue and black are thought to attract the tsetse fly, an issue in some other African countries such as Kenya, but not in the south.

Others will have to advise regarding December as we have not been in that month.

Certainly we have been when it is very warm during the day but the wind chill factor on the high vehicles has meant we have had to rug up, but I will leave that question for those who have been then.

north yorkshire
reviews: 18
2. Re: Clothing for safari@Kruger in 1st week Dec

Quite right about the tsetse flies. thesandmans. The little beggars can bite through anything but they are not a problem in SA. My jacket is black and it comes with me on every trip, family all wear denim jeans.

You will find that local kids are wearing bright shorts and t-shirts so your kids will fit right on in. If daughter wants to wear her flowery dresses, pink track suits, etc she should go right ahead. Just make sure she has a hat and some light weight long clothes for dawn/dusk. Don't waste the money on special clothing she won't wear again.

Cold game drives are not going to be a problem in December with minimums approaching 20C.

Enjoy.

Randburg, Gauteng...
reviews: 32
3. Re: Clothing for safari@Kruger in 1st week Dec

Yes any clothing can abe worn on gamedrives,it 's not a problem at all. i have had guests wearing bright pink, even when asked not to do so, and no one batted any eyelid. Remember that December is the height of summer, so even jeans will be hot, just bring a light jacket with hood or cap/hat in case it rains it can be cooler. Buy plenty of Peaceful Sleep or Tabard sprays and lotions for the Mozzies, or buy coils which you can burn. There is also a plug-in device which has repellent and which you can leave on in the room. Buy Bayticol for the ticks, i got tick-bite fever from doing a bush walk and its not pleasant, so spray sock, shoes and pants.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Singapore, Singapore
4. Re: Clothing for safari@Kruger in 1st week Dec

Thank you very much for all your advice. You have certainly relieved me of a major headache thinking of what clothes I needed to equip my kids with on our upcoming trip!

Randburg, Gauteng...
reviews: 32
5. Re: Clothing for safari@Kruger in 1st week Dec

Remember to bring closed shoes, not just sandals, and socks as well, for all of you. Must also have a hat or cap, the sun here is vicious and you need protection. Bring a small torch, some lodges supply but not all, and binoculars.

Johannesburg, South...
6. Re: Clothing for safari@Kruger in 1st week Dec

Hi Op,

Don't change your wardrobe as thesandmans said. I've been on open safari vehicles in bright coloured tops and jeans, without issues. Even dark clothing is absolutely fine.

The weather in December is extremely warm, so there is probably no need for gloves and thick jackets etc even on open vehicles. I would however take medium to light weight jackets for drives.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Singapore, Singapore
7. Re: Clothing for safari@Kruger in 1st week Dec

Grateful for the clothing advice. One question though regarding Lyn's post on a plug-in repellant device in the room - if the rooms in our lodge are air-conditioned, would it still be necessary to use repellant at bedtime or even mosquito nets (I don't think our lodge provides mosquito nets)? Appreciate some clarification on this.

Johannesburg, South...
8. Re: Clothing for safari@Kruger in 1st week Dec

Hi OP,

Its a great pleasure.

I would definitely still use the plug in machines. December is a higher risk season for mosquitos due to the heat and rainy season. Also use spray on/roll on repellants as well, especially in the early mornings and early evenings. These may also be supplied by the lodge.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

9. Re: Clothing for safari@Kruger in 1st week Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 22, 2014