We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Kruger from Jo'burg

Bengaluru...
Driving to Kruger from Jo'burg

Hi -

We (self, wife + 3 year old) are flying into Jo'burg from Cape Town in the evening (end of Aug 2013).

We plan to spend the night in Jp'burg and then drive to the Paul Kruger Gate (central kruger) via hazyview the next morning (leave joburg at about 6 am). After 1 night at Kruger, we plan to drive back to Jo'burg. I realise it's a 6 hour drive one way but this seems to be more economical than flying into MQP and then driving (or taking transfers to KNP).

Ashton's tours were mentioned in this forum, but it seems they don't go all the way to Paul Kruger Gate. I have emailed them to clarify.

Could some frequent/ recent traveler let me know about the road condition and safety issues (car jacking/ looting, etc) .

Thanks in advance.

AK

PS:

With a game drive on same day, It could be too much driving in 1 day and i am still evaluating that. I am also aware of the scenery (or the lack of it) and we are indifferent to that. We don't plan to get too adventurous by taking too many stops/ detours and will probably stop at busy rest areas.

Hazyview, South...
reviews: 11
1. Re: Driving to Kruger from Jo'burg

I dont think you should do the trip at all.

If you want to see wildlife (Big5) and want to spend a bit more time, I would rather go to Pilanesberg, max 2 hours drive from JHB.

www.pilanesbergnationalpark.org/

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 2:50 pm, May 15, 2013
Mumbai (Bombay...
reviews: 71
2. Re: Driving to Kruger from Jo'burg

Hi, I agree with Abangane, with just 1 night it is too much. Rather do a safari on garden route.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
reviews: 22
3. Re: Driving to Kruger from Jo'burg

Agree you will spend more time travelling to and from than in the park.

We leave JHB very early and get to the park around lunch time. That's stopping for a rest break and again for supplies which you won't have to do I guess but you do need the rest break. As soon as you get to the park you literally start game driving and can keep going till camp gates close so you will fit it in but such a shame to have to leave again the next morning.

You wouldn't want to do it with a tour, as no flexibility at all.

Presume you have everything booked but is there any way you can add any extra days ?

Don't worry about the road to Kruger, it's fine and thousands and thousands of travellers use it every year, us included.

Johannesburg, South...
reviews: 174
4. Re: Driving to Kruger from Jo'burg

I have to agree with Pilanesberg, so much closer.

Weybridge
reviews: 57
5. Re: Driving to Kruger from Jo'burg

I have to agree to, Kruger really is too far to drive for just one night - especially as in August, the gates close at 5.30 pm - so by this time you have to be in your rest camp. Even if you leave Jo'burg at 6 am, that only gives you a few hours in the Park. Bear in mind too when you arrive you may have to wait at the Entrance too to sign in, pay the Concession fees, etc - this could easily take over half an hour depending on the numbers and how fast the people on the desks want to work - so earliest you would be in the Park may be 1 pm if you are lucky - leaving just 4 hours to drive around.

Yes, it will be a great 4 hours hopefully, and yes, it is the iconic Kruger Park ... but you could consider somewhere like Pilanesberg instead, to really maximise your safari/game viewing time (which I assume is the main reason for going?). Pilanesberg National Park is just 2.5 hours drive from Johannesburg, it offers extremely good game viewing and a good infrastructure of roads in the Park for self-driving, it has lovely scenery, and you can stay there too (Bakubung/Kwa Maritane would be my suggestion). Or you could even drive back to Johannesburg after a full day of game viewing in the Park!

Tracey - Owner/Director, Travel Butlers

Bengaluru...
6. Re: Driving to Kruger from Jo'burg

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I am not sure when we will get to return to South Africa in future and hence are keen to do KNP - the iconic destination as mentioned by Tracey.

I will re-look at Pilanesberg option and may be come back with more questions.

Mumbai (Bombay...
reviews: 71
7. Re: Driving to Kruger from Jo'burg

If too keen, give minimum 2 nights. So at least you get to do 1 full day safari. Ideally 3 to 4 nights better, but 2 nights is bare minimum.

8. Re: Driving to Kruger from Jo'burg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 18, 2014