We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

hurdle1
Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

Any recommendations for a honeymoon lodge in Kruger for 4 nights, budget of approx 5500 ZAR per night per person?

Good game viewing, preferably quite small lodge with good food and rooms as it is our honeymoon.

rio de janeiro
reviews: 9
11. Re: Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

Dear Tanya, I've been reading your complains about Kruger Park and would like your help about my tour. We are a couple of brasilians with the same budget as Hurdle. We just decide to go to SA next july , I know it is too late to start planning but we intend to arrive in Joanesburg and take a flight to Nelspruit and rent a car to go to Kruger Park . Spent three days and go by car back to Joanesburg , take a flight to Port Elizabet, rent a car and go to Cape Town, after that take a flight back to Joanesburg-Rio (Brazil). Do you think its possible ? Which are the lodges you have said above that is near Nelspruit airport ? Do the lodges pick us up at the airport ?

Where is the best and cheaper place to rent an automatic car in Nelspruit ? Thanks in advance.

Fernando - Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

SOUTH AFRICA
12. Re: Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

hi Fernando, it is never too early to start planning, so it's good if you are already planning for July 2014!

Your itinerary is definitely possible. I might do it a bit the other way round though, to avoid the long drive from Kruger to JNB - you could start from JNB, fly to PE, rent a car, drive to CT and then fly direct from CT to Kruger.

All of the lodges in the Sabi Sand and Timbavati Private Game Reserve are within 2 - 3 hours drive from the Nelspruit Airport. The lodges in the south (Lion Sands, Sabi Sabi Kirkmans, Londolozi etc) as well as the west of the Sabi Sands (Exeter, Dulini, Inyati, Savanna etc) are the closest to the Nelspruit airport, while the northern Sabi Sands (Elephant Plains, Arathusa, Cheetah Plains etc) and the Timbavati (Ngala, Simbavati, Kings Camp etc) are closer to 3 hours drive from Nelspruit. these further lodges are actually closer to Hoedspruit Airport.

All of the lodges have peferred transfer companies who they deal with, and they will arrange your transfer from and back to the airport.

if you do want to rent a car in Nelspruit, then the easiest is to collect it from the airport but there are also some depots in town.

Good luck with the planning of your trip!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Port Elizabeth
13. Re: Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

The Eastern Cape is definitely easier when combined with a Garden Route trip, if you do decide on Sabi it make sense to start your trip in Port Elizabeth take the Garden Route through to Cape Town and then fly from there directly to Nelspruit.

You will see all the same animals in the Eastern Cape and it is malaria free which for me is a big benefit.

It is not just seeing the animals that makes the area so great it is seeing the conservation in progress.

Most of the animals you will see were hunted to extinction in the 1850’s and have all been reintroduced in the past 20 years, Shamwari started on a small scale in 1990 and now if you drive form Port Elizabeth to Grahamstown it is all game reserves, Kwandwe is the other side of Grahamstown making the entire area huge.

I have just spoken to Shamwari and they probably will be offering the Forever wild Special but you can’t book it at the moment.

Why not also consider Pumba Safaris which is also a big 5, 5 star reserve, their Water Lodge is ideal for a honeymoon.

They have a pay 2 stay 3 offer of R8,500 which is available now. !!

Amakahala Reserve also another good option Bukela Lodge is great, the lions in this reserve are currently is a restricted area but will roam the entire reserve shortly.

I would also make sure you visit the Addo National Park where on a reasonable day you will see 150- 250 elephants Woodall Country house is a great place to stay 10 minutes outside the park and is a fraction of the price of the game reserves.

Addo is another huge conservation success it was established 78 years ago with just 11 elephants there are now around 470, and the 2 prides of lion are also doing very well and are being seen more and more often, to give an illustration of the size the drive from the entrance on the coast to Kuzuko Lodge in the far North is just over 100 miles.

Colin owner Eastcapetours

hurdle1
14. Re: Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

Its a shame the Forever Wild special is not yet available as i want to have things booked incase we miss out on preffered lodges and hotels.

How far is it from Addo to Shamwari, how long does it take to drive?

Although Shamwari is about the same price per night as some of the Sabi Sands lodges the factor of not needing to book flights to Kruger etc will save money.

very difficult decisions.

Randburg, Gauteng...
reviews: 34
15. Re: Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

Definitely consider Kruger as opposed to Eastern Cape Reserves. Kruger offers excellent game viewing - the best in South Africa - and the diversity of scenery and landscape surpasses all others. The Sabi Sand is considered the best for seeing cats and each game drive offers unsurpassed game experiences. Even though you are not as close as the Eastern Cape lodges, the effort to get to Kruger will be more than worth it.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

SOUTH AFRICA
16. Re: Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

I agree with Lyn - definitely worth the cost and effort to include Kruger in your itinerary!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Port Elizabeth
17. Re: Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

It makes me wonder why the Eastern Cape always gets such a bad press on the forums, Kruger, Sabi Sands are awesome but so are the reserves in the Eastern Cape check out the game reserves on the TA accommodation forums and they all get excellent reviews .

I have just come back from Zambia and despite the game viewing being amazing I am always disappointed by how few elephants I see, apparently a herd of 15-20 is a great sighting,

Addo main gate is 30 minutes to an hour to Shamwari, depending on which lodge you choose, for your honeymoon I would go for Bayethe which is around an hour.

We book Shamwari all the time and I find them not releasing the rates extremely frustrating.

Pumba is a really good alternative, we have had clients stay at both reserves and Pumba is by a small margin the favourite.

Kwandwe is also lovely and is just about within your original budget.

Port Elizabeth
18. Re: Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

I have just been going through earlier postings, this one from Addo, gives a scary but great indication of how good the game viewing is !!

tripadvisor.com/…43692054

19. Re: Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 19, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park