We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

hurdle1
Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

Any recommendations for a honeymoon lodge in Kruger for 4 nights, budget of approx 5500 ZAR per night per person?

Good game viewing, preferably quite small lodge with good food and rooms as it is our honeymoon.

South Africa
reviews: 63
1. Re: Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

Well look at www.casartgamelodge.com, great lodge and super good food. Just outside Krugerpark but inside a small game reserve with the big 5 .

South Africa
reviews: 63
2. Re: Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

And with a jacuzzie, so super place for your honeymoon!

SOUTH AFRICA
3. Re: Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

Your budget is very good. Though the majority of the 2014 rates will only be released this weekend at the Tourism Indaba, you could start considering the following lodges: On a pay 3 stay 4 night special offer, the free night will reduce the cost and place the following lodges within your budget range: Kirkmans Kamp, Exeter River Lodge, Ngala Safari Lodge, Ngala Tented Camp. On Sabi Sabi's 3 night fly-in package their lodges also become more affordable, i.e. their Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge. Inyati and Elephant Plains will also be within your budget. Many good options to consider!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
reviews: 22
4. Re: Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

Hi there.

As Tanya said there are some beautiful lodges in the Sabi Sand that make a great honeymoon destination.

I would also suggest to look at Dulini. We are soon heading back for the fourth time and there are always honeymooners staying there.

Gorgeous romantic and individual lodges set some distance apart from each other for complete privacy. Bigger than many apartments. Private plunge pool [can still be hot in April], and huge viewing deck to watch the wildlife from.

Romantic dinners, fabulous food and people, and other nice surprises that I won't give away here.

Most importantly wonderful game drives, plus the bonus of only 6 people to a vehicle. This means you will not have to share your seat with anyone else, not something offered by very many lodges.

On top of all this there is only six rooms, each fitted out for a couple, not ideal at all for a family. The result we have never seen children there. Have seen lots of honeymooners though....

Currently runnning a genuine stay 4 pay 3 offer, however you would have to contact them about 2014.

Check the reviews on this site, it is not number one for no reason.

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g471846-d646…

Another gorgeous spot in the Timbavati is Kings Camp, we stayed in the honeymoon suite there and it was just beautiful

You will get lots of recommendations here for peoples favorites so use the above link to check out the other lodges too.

hurdle1
5. Re: Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

Thanks for the heads up. Trying to compare the overall experience in Shamwari/Kwandwe to somewhere like Dulini or Elephant Plains. Dulini 2014 rates are higher than this year, but with the honeymoon offer of 50% off for the bride you essentially get 4 nights for 3 working out at approx R5500 per night per person. Obviously we would have to factor in the flights and transfers as we will be coming from Port Elizabeth.

Such a difficult decision as so much to think about. As this is at the end of a 14 day self drive through CT, Winelands and Garden Route we want to keep enough budget to have nice hotels along the way.

Western Cape, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
reviews: 40
6. Re: Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

The fact that you will be headed to your safari from Port Elizabeth is relevant. To get to any lodge in the Kruger area you will need to fly through Johannesburg and get going early in the AM so you will be able to reach the safari lodge in time for the PM game drive - need to be at the lodge by 330PM in my opinion.

Honestly, Kwandwe Great Fish River chalets are very nice. And wildlife there is strong. And they may have a 4-for-3.

Plus, something that rarely gets discussed here, the landscape and environment at the Eastern Cape reserves is seriously more attractive than the bush country around Kruger. You are considering Shamwari, also. Certainly better known because of its wide exposure on TV programs and documentaries. Eagles Crag or Bayethe Superior Tent would match most places for luxury. Contact them about offers. The 2014 rates are online, and if the Forever Wild offer will be repeated for April next year (you should ask them) then either of those camps/lodges would be within your budget.

More important - using Kwandwe or Shamwari would be sooo much easier from Port Elizabeth! Either is a short and easy drive - or they can arrange transfers for you.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 4:42 am, May 10, 2013
hurdle1
7. Re: Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

Tanya.

I could not find any info on the fly in packages at Sabi Sabi lodges, could you point me in the right direction?

Dave, I have asked about the Forever Wild packages and nothing is available yet for 2014, Ideally I would like to get this booked in the next few weeks so might not be in time for that offer.

The decision really comes down to Eastern Cape or Kruger. I am leaning towards the Eastern Cape and Shamwari but really would liek it if our budget could stretch to one of the more luxurious Sabi Sands lodges.

geneva
reviews: 15
8. Re: Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

Stay in the Eastern Cape, Dave is right, the landscape is beautiful and you won't waste so much time in transit.

Johannesburg, South...
9. Re: Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

Hi Hurdle 1.

With that budget I would consider Savanna, Sabi Sands / Exeter River on a Pay 3, Stay 4, Dulini if you get get a deal, Ngala Luxury Tented in Timbavati on a Pay 3, Stay 4. Dulini is small and intimate, with great game viewing possibilities, and would be a great option for a honeymoon. Kirkmans, Elephant Plains, Ngala Safari lodge are bigger lodges and all family friendly so the possibilites of kids running around is always present. A slightly cheaper option would be Inyati(mentioned by Tanya above). I have not had much experience with the Eastern Cape lodges, but would assume by the posts that Shamwari or Kwandwe would be great options, and logistically easier.

You would have to catch an early flight form PE and try be on the road by 10 at the latest. You could also overnight at/near the airport and be on the road early the next day. Or you could fly in to the lodge which is costly.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

SOUTH AFRICA
10. Re: Which lodge April 14 - Budget 5500 ZAR per person per night

To answer your question about the Sabi Sabi fly-in packages, they don't advertise this special on their website anymore, but you can still book it either with Sabi Sabi direct, or through a tour operator. It is very good value for money and a great saving for such wonderful lodges.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct