We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger Safari - How Long is Long Enough

Calgary, Canada
Kruger Safari - How Long is Long Enough

Hello all,

My husband and I are looking at booking a safari at the beginning of October and are considering Kapama River Lodge as our destination. We don't want to be moving around to multiple different lodges and want to stay in one area but are not sure how long to book. He was thinking up to 5 nights but we aren't sure that this would be too long. How many nights would you recommend spending at one location?

Thanks!!

reviews: 3
11. Re: Kruger Safari - How Long is Long Enough

if we plan on staying 4 nights in Kruger do recommend staying at 2 different places or will we get the same experience if we just stayed at one the entire time?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel
reviews: 2,946
12. Re: Kruger Safari - How Long is Long Enough

Hello wwiems23

Are you taking about the SANParks sights, private reserves or perhaps a mix of both?

Edited: 9:40 pm, May 25, 2013
13. Re: Kruger Safari - How Long is Long Enough

Either a mix of both or just private reserves. Budget isn't so much a factor, really more interested on what you would recommend for the best overall experience and best use of time with 4 days devoted to safaris.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel
reviews: 2,946
14. Re: Kruger Safari - How Long is Long Enough

Have a read of the following, might help you decide. I personally like the mix of private reserve and self-drive so perhaps you could do a couple days of both, assuming you have a car rental.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g312633-d159…

Hope this is useful.

Johannesburg, South...
15. Re: Kruger Safari - How Long is Long Enough

Hi wwiems23,

4 nights in one lodge or Kruger National Park is perfect. In fact the general recommendation is a minimum of 3 to 4 nights. If you were looking at 6 nights or more, you could split the time over 2 different lodges or a combination of private and KNP.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

16. Re: Kruger Safari - How Long is Long Enough

Awesome thanks for everyone's help.

I know it's not ideal, but it's looking like January is when we will come with everyone's schedules. Is there a specific area of Kruger that might be better than another for that time of year? I had started looking into Sabi Sands

Creemore
reviews: 47
17. Re: Kruger Safari - How Long is Long Enough

Has Anyone experience Sun Safaris? Regards, gemmagee

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
reviews: 22
18. Re: Kruger Safari - How Long is Long Enough

Hi wwiems23

If you travel in January any part of Kruger/Sabi Sand it will be hot. Or very hot.

If you are considering a self drive/Sabi Sand combination [highly recommended by us, we do it always] then just take a few things into account.

For Kruger just ensure the car you hire has aircon, I would say it is probably pretty standard but just be sure. Even though you will often drive with the windows down at least you will have both options. Same goes for the Sanparks accommodation, double check that your bungalow has a/c, most do but not all. You will need it, we ran it all the time in our bungalow on a March trip.

The private lodges will usually naturally have airconditioned rooms, a pool would be nice in January. You will need sunhats/caps for the game drives, the jeeps are open but the breeze you get sitting up high is nice in summer.

Dont let the heat put you off though, as long as you have airconditioning in rooms and your car you will be fine.

Also if you do the combo if possibe you might consider stretching to 3 days each to get the maximum enjoyment of both experiences. Both options are wonderful but very very different.

Oh and remember in Kruger at that time of the year you must maximise your game driving early morning and late afternoon, many animals will snooze away the day in the heat. Be at the camp gate by opening time.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
reviews: 22
19. Re: Kruger Safari - How Long is Long Enough

gemmagee

You would be best to start a new thread with your question as your heading.

Balule Private Game...
20. Re: Kruger Safari - How Long is Long Enough

5 nights should be enough to have a good impression of the Kruger park. I recommend you stay in 2 different places (e.g. Olifants camp and Lower Sabie).

Enjoy,

Corné.

Amukela Game Lodge

Balule Nature Reserve

Hoedspruit