We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

Which Kruger National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
reviews: 41
Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

I scheduled an entire day to do the Panorama Route before we head into Kruger National Park.

Originally, I planed to spend one night at Graskop. Next day, we explore Panorama Route, then spend one night just outside of Orpen Gate. Then we enter Kruger through Orpen gate, and head towards Olifants Camp. (We have a reservation at Olifants camp).

My travel agent recommended for us to spend both nights at Hazyview instead before entering Kruger.

Hazyview looks far from Olifants camp. Is it? Can I drive from Hazyview to Olifants camp in a day?

Or should we stay near Orpen Gate to be closer to Olifants camp? If so, please recommend some lodging places in that area. We are a family with 2 kids.

Thanks!

17 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
11. Re: Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

We start our South Africa trip in Cape Town and Garden route first. We will be in the Kruger area in late July.

Does the season matter with the lodges? Do they shut down in certain months? We can only travel far during the kids' summer break.

Boston...
reviews: 3
12. Re: Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

Late July is an excellent time to be in Kruger. We will be there at the end of July and into August as well. Lodges are not seasonal; the way they are in say Yellowstone where they shut down before the winter.

I think July/August is a great time for game viewing because the bush is not as lush and you can see through the bush. The southern part of the Park is fantastic during this time and you will have a great time.

Who knows, we may see you in Hazyview :)

Cheers,

Heeten, Swagat at Kruger Park Lodge, Hazyview & Boston

San Jose, California
13. Re: Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

Slight change of plans! In need of all your helpful advices again.

Heeten, we are unlikely to pump into you guys at Hazyview now...

My agent has booked us at the Casterbridge Hollow instead of Perry Hollow. The Perry place is all booked.

I found myself a map today, and can see that White River is the next town to Hazyview. So, which gate is the best for getting into Kruger from Casterbridge?

I can see that it is near Numbi and Kruger gate. And there is a mention of Phalaborwa gate. But I don't see this gate on my map, no idea where it is in relation to Casterbridge.

I also got a brand new fine idea. Can we enter Kruger via the Crocodile Bridge way south and get to the Olifants rest camp before they close the gate? Too greedy? Impossible?? Fine idea indeed?

We don't mind driving ALL day. We just don't want to get locked outside the Olifants gate.

Thanks.

Hazyview, South...
reviews: 7
14. Re: Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

The idea of Crocodile Bridge is a mix of too greedy and impossible, LOL. Definitely not advisable.

The closest Gate to Casterbridge is the Numbi Gate, app. 30 minutes drive. Take care when driving the R538 to Numbi, The road is in a terrible condition at the moment, loads and loads of potholes.

You could also take the R40 to Hazyview which is a very well maintained road and enter the park at either Phabeni or Kruger Gate (depending on the time left to reach Olifants). To Phabeni gate will take you app. 45 minutes and to Kruger gate 1h15.

Phalaborwa is app. 220 km North but the closest entry gate to Olifants. I would rather drive thru the park.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 2:12 am, May 15, 2013
San Jose, California
15. Re: Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

Okay, no Crocodile Bridge for us.

We will take R40 to Hazyview, and enter the park through Kruger gate.

Thanks!!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
reviews: 22
16. Re: Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

Good decision, to us there is something special about entering via the Kruger gate, plus you will be straight into some game rich areas.

Klaus is right of course about Croc bridge, just too far. It's not only distance but remember you always have to consider what may happen along the way. This goes for all your travel within the park.

Late one afternoon we were stopped by a total of four buffalo and elephant roads blocks returning to Mopani and barely made it back for gate closing. And imagine if you came across a pride of lions you wanted to spend time with but had to keep moving along to make it on time.

Just something to keep in mind, but of course it's all great fun !

San Jose, California
17. Re: Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

Good news for us! We changed our hotel again, now MUCH closer to the Kruger gate.

Klus, thank you for mentioning that White River is actually over an hour drive to the Kruger gate. That's too far! I want to do my self-drive inside the park.

When I looked at the map, I can see the two towns are next to each other, and assumed that it is only a 10 drive from White River to Hazyview.

So, I asked my agent to cancel Casterbridge, and find us something closer the the park. She booked us at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate. That's right outside the Kruger door step... awesome.

Thank you all for your helpful tips.

Reply to: Orpen Gate or Hazyview??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park