We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

Which Kruger National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
reviews: 42
Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

I scheduled an entire day to do the Panorama Route before we head into Kruger National Park.

Originally, I planed to spend one night at Graskop. Next day, we explore Panorama Route, then spend one night just outside of Orpen Gate. Then we enter Kruger through Orpen gate, and head towards Olifants Camp. (We have a reservation at Olifants camp).

My travel agent recommended for us to spend both nights at Hazyview instead before entering Kruger.

Hazyview looks far from Olifants camp. Is it? Can I drive from Hazyview to Olifants camp in a day?

Or should we stay near Orpen Gate to be closer to Olifants camp? If so, please recommend some lodging places in that area. We are a family with 2 kids.

Thanks!

Naracoorte
reviews: 14
1. Re: Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

You can stay two nights in Hazyview and then drive up to Orpen gate. It shouldn't be more than a couple of hours up to Orpen gate and then allow minimum 2 hours drive through the park to Oliphants. Easily doable in a day.

Hazyview, South...
reviews: 10
2. Re: Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

You can easily stay in Hazyview, enter the Park thru either Phabeni or Kruger Gate and drive thru the park to Olifants. We have done that a few times already. Much better than driving up to Orpen Gate. There is nothing to see on route from Hazyview to Orpen.

Enter the Park by latest 9 am and you will be at Olifants by 3-4 pm. Sure it depends on the age of the kids and yourself if you want to have a long drive. You can have lunch at Satara e.g.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

London, United...
3. Re: Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

I would enter at Phalaborwa gate. Great accommodation in the town if you wanted to spend the previous night somewhere.

SOUTH AFRICA
4. Re: Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

If I were you, I would rather spend both nights in one place, so I tend to agree with your agent's recommendation of Hazyview. From there you can easily explore the Panorama Route. The next morning you could get an early start and drive through the Kruger National Park to Olifants. It will be a nice drive, and you will get to enjoy some beautiful areas of the Kruger! For Hazyview accommodation, you can't go wrong with Abangane. www.abangane.com

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Ficksburg, South...
reviews: 88
5. Re: Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

Its a long drive, but you can do it. Personally I would stay closer to Orpen, but ultimately its up to you

Hazyview, South...
reviews: 10
6. Re: Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

The questions is, do you want to make most of your game experience, then driving from Phabeni or Kruger Gate is the way to go. The southern part of KNP is richer in game, especially cats. Olifants is wonderful and one of our preferred camps, allthough when drivinng, the closer to the south the better the sightings.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

San Jose, California
7. Re: Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

We are not intimidated by long drives, it is what we have signed up to do there.

We will stay at Hazyview both nights then, since we can comfortably reach Olifants camp from there, and it is also a good base for exploring Panoramic route.

Tanya, Abangane looks amazing, drooling... But Klaus wouldn't want us in his gorgeous villas. One of our baboons is a 9 year-old. Maybe next time.

Thank you all for your advices.

Boston...
reviews: 3
8. Re: Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

Hi there,

Are you looking for a place where your kids can walk around and relax (pool, tennis, mini-golf) or just a place that will take in the youngens?

It seems like Klaus may have had his share of baboons on all his Kruger trips :)

Cheers,

Heeten, Swagat at Kruger Park Lodge, Hazyview/Boston

San Jose, California
9. Re: Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

We are happy with any place that will welcome us, and let us sleep peacefully at night.

We are ambitious travelers, the kind of people that leave early in the morning, go do and see way too much all day, when we return, our kids will not have a shred of energy left to give us drama, they will only want bed. We are against relaxing on vacations.

My agent has recommended a place called Perry Bridge Hollow. I thought it is fine. Right?

Boston...
reviews: 3
10. Re: Orpen Gate or Hazyview??

When are you traveling? There are many guest lodges, B&Bs and self-catering units in Hazyview where you will find a comfortable bed/pillow to lay your heads.

Cheers,

Heeten, Swagat at Kruger Park Lodge, Hazyview & Boston