We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids at Kruger Safari

Which Kruger National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangalore, India
Kids at Kruger Safari

Hi -

I am traveling with my wife and a 3.5 year old to KNP in end August 2013.

I am confused about whether kids are allowed to go on safari. I am told that they can be allowed only on CLOSED vehicles. Is that correct?

Also, are kids allowed to do early evening safari (3.30pm - 7 pm) and early morning safari (5.30 am - 10am)?

I can't seem to find this info on SANparks or other forums. Please help.

Johannesburg, South...
1. Re: Kids at Kruger Safari

Hi A K.

I'm not certain about this. I know for definite that in the private safari lodges such young kids are not allowed on the drives, but KNP is a bit different with vehicles restricted to tourist roads, even the KNP safari vehicles. This needs a bit of investigation. I'll see what I can find out for you and post a follow up.

Sorry I could not be of more help at this time.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
reviews: 22
2. Re: Kids at Kruger Safari

I presume you are staying in the Sanparks accommodation inside the park?

To be sure I would suggest actually posting your question of the Sanparks site forum, as you have seen the people there are extremely helpful and will be only too happy to answer in detail.

The morning and evening game drives taken from the camps are done in open type vehicles so I have a feeling that it could be a problem for one so young.

However as you seem to be staying in the park you will be able to literally drive yourself around for twelve hours a day If thats what you want, many people do just that, or you can come and go from camp as you please. You just need to be at the gate opening first thing in the morning, this is a great time for animal spotting which is why the organized drives are out then. In August I think the camp gates open a 6am which is only half hour later than the camp drives, and you will be much more comfortable in your heated vehicle at that time of the morning I can assure you, the wind chill factor makes it extremely cold atop those high vehicles. We have seen many times the people up on the trucks rugged up in winter scarves and jackets with only their eyes uncovered. We have done it in September and it was freezing on the morning and night drives even then.

Edited: 6:55 pm, May 07, 2013
Pretoria, SA
reviews: 40
3. Re: Kids at Kruger Safari

The Sanparks Drives can only be taken by people over the age of 6, so this rules out A K Junior. As has been said- you can drive around yourself with Junior as long as you want between gate opening times, just take care especially if near baboons or vervets.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
reviews: 22
4. Re: Kids at Kruger Safari

Thank you CHH for confirming that, I thought it may have been the case.

And some good advice re those baboons!

SOUTH AFRICA
5. Re: Kids at Kruger Safari

Children younger than 6 years of age are allowed to go on game drives at the private lodges as long as the parents pay for the exclusive use of a private game viewing vehicle. This does come at a cost, but if you really want to take your 3 year old on a game drive in an open game viewing vehicle, then this is the only way that you can do it.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Bangalore, India
6. Re: Kids at Kruger Safari

Thanks all.

We (self, wife, kid) were planning to fly into MQP and then go to Paul Kruger Gate by shuttle/ car. The plan was to stay at Protea Hotel just outside the gate.

All website of private lodges seem to say that kids below 6 are not allowed. Our kid is not used to babysitting and hence we can't leave him behind.

I would definitely like to have a guide/ ranger so that we can view the game quicker and also know some background / details.

I will continue to explore and update if I find anything. Does anyone know if this situation is different at Sun City / Pilanesberg?

PS: SANparks has banned me to access their forum / FAQ since they claim my ISP sent them SPAM. Unbelievable!

Abu Dhabi, United...
reviews: 16
7. Re: Kids at Kruger Safari

Also remember that there is malaria there.

Durban...
8. Re: Kids at Kruger Safari

Our children and subsequently now our grandchildren have been brought up spending whole holidays in Kruger National Park. Sometimes a planned 3 hour drive can turn into a 6 hour drive if one has good sightings. Self drive then becomes virtually the only way to handle a child as you can supply toys, colouring books and play games with them in the vehicle. When we go to a private lodge they are very happy to take our grandchildren as they have educated about keeping quiet at certain sightings and take everything in their stride. Our granddaughter has even witnessed a leopard killing an impala and once we carefully explained the whole thing to her she was perfectly accepting of the "rule of the jungle". If you still want to go ahead with your plans to stay at the Protea Hotel (which is not even 1 mins drive to the Paul Kruger Gate) I believe it is essential that you have your own vehicle and as you are so close you could actually do three drives a day into the Park and have a very good chance of seeing the Big 5 with ease on the roads in that area.

Bangalore, India
9. Re: Kids at Kruger Safari

Thanks everyone!

Johannesburg, South...
10. Re: Kids at Kruger Safari

You're most welcome AK. Thats what the forums for and I'm sure that everyone who has responded to your post has also been only to happy to help.

Good luck and enjoy your safari.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa