We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gamedrives near Hoedspruit

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gamedrives near Hoedspruit

We are a family of 6 - 2 adults 4 kids from 7-10 going later this year.

We are going to stay on an estate just outside Hoedspruit and want to take the kids on a morning and afternoon gamedrive. All the options we can see include 2 nights stay and an additional 10.000rand cost which is steep and not necessary as we have a place to stay.

Any ideas where we could find Gamedrives without accommodation and is it safe to drive around at 04.00 clock in the morning to get there.

Really need an alternative - thanks for helping

1. Re: Gamedrives near Hoedspruit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:49 pm, April 15, 2013
Copenhagen, Denmark
2. Re: Gamedrives near Hoedspruit

Thanks for a quick reply :-)

We are staying at the Blyde Wildlife Estate just outside Hoedspruit.

It a good place and nice location so I feel foolish paying for another accomodation but I really want the kids to experience the thrill etc. of gamedrives so the plan is to just go somewhere very very early and go for the drive and perhaps lunch.

Is it safe to drive around this early in the day/morning/night

BR

Mark

Kruger National...
reviews: 38
3. Re: Gamedrives near Hoedspruit

Oh! Of course! I don't know why that slipped my mind, ha ha! It is beautiful there. Are you going to do some hikes etc in the area? There is a lovely one that leaves from the Blyde Dam viewpoint, takes around 45 minutes and has some beautiful scenery. I did it just 2 weeks ago.

That makes perfect sense! Give those guys an email and let them know what you like. The cos is around R350+ per person for a 3-4 hour game drive. Super fun.

Otherwise - Why not just take a drive in the actual Kruger? Orpen gate is around 35 minutes from where you are staying. You can drive around yourself and search for all the Big 5 and more! There are restaurants etc too in the Kruger.

Yes - perfectly safe :-). We often drive around at all hours, there is no problem. Your biggest thing to watch out for will be animals on the road! Ha ha. But common sense always comes in handy too, obviously.

All the best,

Jacqui

Copenhagen, Denmark
4. Re: Gamedrives near Hoedspruit

:-) never thougt of giving the Blyde Wildlife estate people a call :-) easy solution is often right under your nose.

It is a very nice place and the hiking idea sounds perfect as well.

We will be going to Kruger for the a selfdrive or two just wanted to add the otherexperience as well.

Really apreaciate your help!

Thanks a million

Copenhagen, Denmark
5. Re: Gamedrives near Hoedspruit

Final question :-)

Would we need to take Malarone for Malia during this time of year or will we be all right.

Kruger National...
6. Re: Gamedrives near Hoedspruit

Hiya Mark,

No problem, ask as many questions as you like :-).

What time of year will you be coming?

Jacqui

Copenhagen, Denmark
7. Re: Gamedrives near Hoedspruit

We will come the two first weeks in July 2013.

I would prefer not giving the kids harsh medicine like Malarone but I dont want to take any risks either and I am getting mixed information.

BR

Mark

Kruger National...
8. Re: Gamedrives near Hoedspruit

July is the low season for malaria (as it is our dry season).

I personally don't actually take any malaria medication at any time of the year, and the same is true for a lot of the local here. BUT I am not saying this is what you should do - rather chat to your doctor as I am not a GP :-).

But to answer your question - that is the low risk season of malaria :-)

Jacqui

9. Re: Gamedrives near Hoedspruit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 13, 2014