We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Game drives

Game drives

Hey I am planning a trip to kruger next year with some friends and was wondering when to book the game drives. We will be doing self drive but would like to do a couple of night drives, I read that we should book them at least 11 months in advance is this right? Also we were looking to book a few nights of our accomodation at the same time but can we add more days onto the booking at a later date as we may not have the money at the time? Any replies will be appreciated thank you

Boston...
reviews: 7
1. Re: Game drives

Hi there,

My suggestion would be to prioritize the nights and camps you want inside Kruger -- I am assuming you are staying inside Kruger right?

Since SANParks is pretty good about a deposit and paying the remainder closer to check-in, book the nights you need now. Those are harder to add since accommodations go fast.

I would wait on the night drives until much closer to the date. I usually book them when I am there. Same goes for bush walks etc.

Which camps are you considering?

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Heeten, Swagat at Kruger Park Lodge, Hazyview/Boston

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
reviews: 22
2. Re: Game drives

Wonderful that you have chosen to self drive in Kruger, it an amazing experience, and a great idea to do night drives during your stay. Maybe also consider a bush walk as another optional activity. As already said you do not need to book them as far ahead as the accommodation.

First thing you need to do is decide as best you can which camps you want to stay in and for how long, [you can change later]. You will find reviews here on T/A for the camps, including ours, but all the best guidance can be found on the Sanparks site, it is a goldmine of information.

www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/default.php

Do this is far ahead as you can, this is where the 11 months in advance comes in.

Then on the Sanparks site, you need to register, this involves setting up a profile including your personal details, passport number etc and makes the booking process very streamlined as your details will all be there.

Next check and choose the availability of the type of accommodation you would like. Once you have made your selection then call Sanparks reservation line and make the booking, this is the only time you will need to call them. They are very helpful and will access your profile and confirm availability for you on the call. Unlike booking online you will not have to pay anything up front. You will then immediately receive by email a deposit request letter with all the booking information for you to read over and check. Then you will have 30 days to pay your deposit and the balance will be not be due approx 60 days before you arrive.

It is really very simple, and once this is done you can then log on to your own account and look at all your bookings and make changes whenever you want. You may want to change the type of room or even the camp.

We have done this many times, when a better room comes up or we decide to stay longer at a particular camp. Every day people make bookings then don’t pay the deposit by the due date, then the room becomes immediately available for someone else.

Randburg, Gauteng...
reviews: 32
3. Re: Game drives

Hello, i recommend you book the drives directly with the camp as soon as you can. If you wait to book, and only do this when you arrive, you may be disappointed. I have often arrived, only to find that all the drives are booked with big tour groups and no space available. This is booked far ahead by the big operators, so dont leave it til you get there.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

4. Re: Game drives

Thank you for this I did not realise I could do that this has been most helpful. The camps I am looking at are satara, lower sabie, orpen, olifants and skukuza spending 2 or 3 nights at each these sites sounded good so hope they are. And I am going in April so do you think the drives will be booked up at this time of year if I wait till I am there?

Edited: 6:42 am, March 28, 2013
Boston...
reviews: 7
5. Re: Game drives

Those are all great camps you are considering. You may want to check out the smaller bush camps like Biyamiti (which books up very fast) for a secluded feel. Try to spend 3 nights in some of the camps (like Satara) so you can really take your time and explore the region well. We spent 12 days and barely covered the entire southern half of Kruger last time we were there. Also, do consider the busk walks -- they are a fun experience and you learn a lot.

Depending on when the Easter/school holidays are in 2014, April could be get busy.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Heeten, Swagat at Kruger Park Lodge, Hazyview/Boston

6. Re: Game drives

Cheers I will check that out and am looking to do 3 nights in satara and lower sabie. I have also been looking at the walks and they seem pretty good and I see I didn't think about the Easter hols, I was just trying to get a period where there's still a chance of some storms. But I will look when the hols are and bear that in mind thank you

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
reviews: 22
7. Re: Game drives

Great selection of camps.

Have stayed at all apart from Orpen and had amazing sightings. Good advice from Heeten, need at least three nights at a camp like Satara.

8. Re: Game drives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 31, 2014