We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria Medication For Krugar Park Visit

Karachi, Pakistan
Malaria Medication For Krugar Park Visit

I am a visitor already in Joburg for the last one month and plan to visit Krauger for 3-4 days by end March 13 and have made arrangements at Kruger Park. I need your help for:

1. Do I need antimalarial medication

2, If yes, which drug and how can I arrange doctors prescription as being a tourist have no GP at Joyburg,

Washington DC...
reviews: 9
1. Re: Malaria Medication For Krugar Park Visit

It's past March 13 but I'll assume you're going to Kruger soon. The South African Dept of Health recommends prophylaxis for Kruger during this time of year. I'd recommend Malarone or doxycycline, though you have to take doxycycline for 28 days after leaving the malaria area as opposed to only 7 for Malarone. Can't help with a doctor recommendation but you should talk to someone in the medical field to help you choose an antimalarial.

Naracoorte
reviews: 14
2. Re: Malaria Medication For Krugar Park Visit

Have never been advised by our doctor to take Doxy for 28 days after leaving (and her husband is an old Africa hand ). Is this a new recommendation? We are only advised to take it for a week after.

Washington DC...
reviews: 9
3. Re: Malaria Medication For Krugar Park Visit

The 28-day regime for doxy after leaving the malaria area is standard and will be found just about at any site giving the dosages for the various drugs for prophylaxis. That same dose is given in the SA Dept of Health's guidelines on preventing malaria.

Avila Beach...
reviews: 6
4. Re: Malaria Medication For Krugar Park Visit

Yep, always been advised to take doxy for a month after, Malarone for one week.

Naracoorte
reviews: 14
5. Re: Malaria Medication For Krugar Park Visit

Eeek! I think I might switch to Malarone!

Randburg, Gauteng...
reviews: 32
6. Re: Malaria Medication For Krugar Park Visit

Malarone seem to be the most popular drug that is used by tourists visiting Kruger. All doctors and sites do recommend taking medication. However, if you choose not to take this, there are plenty of other options, such as Peaceful Sleep/Tabard Sprays, lotions, bracelets, coils and plug ins (which are very effective). I use a Citronella Candle which keeps the mozzies away. It is your choice, but it would not be nice to contract malaria.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Kruger National...
reviews: 23
7. Re: Malaria Medication For Krugar Park Visit

Hiya,

I would not recommend Doxy, as you have to be very careful in the sun, and as you coming in March, there is still a lot of sun here in the Kruger. Stick with Malarone!

Best,

Jacqui

Johannesburg, South...
reviews: 27
8. Re: Malaria Medication For Krugar Park Visit

To answer your second question: you can make an appointment to see any GP - maybe ask your accommodation to tell you who the nearest ones are. There are also travel clinics - a Google search will bring up the details. In both cases you will have to pay a consultation fee: when you make the appointment, find out how much it will be.

Durham, North...
reviews: 2
9. Re: Malaria Medication For Krugar Park Visit

My Malaria research (for our 30 day African photo safari) is here:

Google: complete malaria

My world's most complete insect repellent research is here:

Google: "really complete insect repellent"

None of us got bitten by anything, anywhere.

This is unbiased, free no money made by anyone, information I gathered for our photo safaris

Enjoy - you will love it (your trip)

Copenhagen, Denmark
10. Re: Malaria Medication For Krugar Park Visit

We are going there in the two first weeks of June near Hordspruit with day visits to Kruger. Facilites and lodging is good standard.

We were told that it is low/no season for Malaria and we would not need to take anything?

Is this correct, getting a bit unsure after reading the posts and dont want to risk us or the kids....