We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger Park - How long to stay there? self drive?

Which Kruger National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Worcester, England...
reviews: 19
Kruger Park - How long to stay there? self drive?

Hello,

My partner and myself are going to be travelling South Africa for 2 weeks next Summer (August) - We are hoping to fly into Johannesburg and spend a week in a hire care driving along the east coast, we are going to stop in Kruger Park but aren't sure how long is best to stay there? and what the best accommodation etc is for while we are there. We are probably going to self drive as we will have our hire car. After our 7 days, we will return to Johannesburg to fly to Cape Town for the second week. Any advice/info or personal experiences/memories of the place would be greatly appreciated!!!

Kate.

Mumbai (Bombay...
reviews: 38
1. Re: Kruger Park - How long to stay there? self drive?

Hi, I would suggest 5 nights in Kruger. For the first night drive from Joburg and visit panoramic route. You can stay inside in the park and self drive. Look at sanpark.org for accommodation. It will be cheap. if your budget permits, can add a night or 2 in private reserve in sabi sands.

5 nights in CT then, many things to see and do..you will find 5 nights short to see everything.

Then take 4 nights on Garden Route. 1 night in Oudtshoorn and 3 nights in Knysna. One way fly from CT to George to save time. Definitely do shark cage diving in Hermanus.

Arkansas
reviews: 13
2. Re: Kruger Park - How long to stay there? self drive?

Five to seven nights in Kruger will be great. This gives you enough time, that you should be able to see just about every animal, and never feel rushed. I spent 7 nights on my trip, and felt 'just right'.

As for Cape Town, other than driving down to see the whales, no need for a car. I used the hop on/ hop off to get most everywhere. They also have a great city bus system to get around.

The hop on/off bus map will pretty much tell you all of the must sees, and you should plan at least 4 days to truly enjoy all of them. Just the wine stop and garden will take a full day.

The whales is a MUST DO! You can do a tour that will drive you down, put you on a boat and bring you back to the hotel. However if you have the time and money, you might want to drive down (several hour drive) and spend a night or two then return to Cape Town.

3. Re: Kruger Park - How long to stay there? self drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 02, 2014