We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Standard Conservation fee' in Kruger for overnight visitors

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 16
'Standard Conservation fee' in Kruger for overnight visitors

Hi everyone,

Just a few questions on how the 'Standard Conservation fee' works.

We are from Australia, so according to SANPark website, we'll be paying R204/person at Kruger National Park, per day visit.

Just want to confirm that this fee is paid/collected at the entry gate, as we enter? (or as we exit?)

If we plan to stay two consecutive nights in the rest camp inside the park, do we pay R408 per person (ie R204*2 for two-day's fee), upon arrival at the gate? Or do we pay R204 when we first enter the gate, and pay the other R204 when we leave?

Another scenario I have is, say if we are only staying one night at a rest camp inside the park, and if on the first day we arrive at 6am when the park opens, we pay R204 upon arrival, spend the night at the camp, and leave the camp the next day as early as the gate opens, eg at 6am, do we have to pay another fee when we exit the gate, because it is 'the next day'? If this is the case, wouldn't it be better if we exist the gate at 6pm, by spending the next day game driving ourselves (so essentially that means we have two days game drive) to make our money worth?

I'm so confused as there isn't much info on SANParks website for this fine details.

Any help/advice will be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

28 replies to this topic
Hazyview, South...
reviews: 10
1. Re: 'Standard Conservation fee' in Kruger for overnight visitors

You pay R204.00 per person per DAY, independent of how long you stay inside the park or the time you enter or leave. Which means 1 night stay is 2 days conservation fee.

You pay at the gate, when not staying overnight, or at the camp, when staying overnight, for all days.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Brisbane, Australia
2. Re: 'Standard Conservation fee' in Kruger for overnight visitors

Thanks for your reply. Is it fair to say that, if we have to leave the park early the next morning, it'd be better that we don't stay inside the park, and just do a day visit instead? Otherwise, just for leaving the park at 6pm the next day incurs another day's charge..

Naracoorte
reviews: 14
3. Re: 'Standard Conservation fee' in Kruger for overnight visitors

If you haven't been before then it is worth the extra day's charge to stay in the park.overnight :) There is nothing like being in the bush at night. You might hear lions and hyena at night and you can walk around inside the camp at night with a torch (bring a torch!) and have great sightings both inside and outside the fence! You can also do a guided night drive with Sanparks from your camp.

Kruger National...
4. Re: 'Standard Conservation fee' in Kruger for overnight visitors

Hi Ali

If you stay one night in the park and leave the next day at 6pm, you should not be charged the conservation fee again... at least this is my understanding of how it works! I live close to the park and go camping for one night at a time - if I remember correctly I only ever pay for the day that I stayed in the park, not for the day I travelled out of it!

Brisbane, Australia
5. Re: 'Standard Conservation fee' in Kruger for overnight visitors

Thanks for your replies!

To tryhard - I agree with you, and I'd definitely like the idea of at least staying one night inside the park!

To misstamg: Sorry I just realised that in my previously post I made a typo, i actually meant leaving at '6AM' the next day, not '6PM'...But then again, it's pretty confusing!!!

I suppose, if the next day after the overnight stay in the park, I leave at 6AM, then I feel i shouldn't be charged as i'm basically just getting out of the park.

However, if I leave at '6pm' the next day, then I suppose it's fair if I do get charged for 2nd day's conservation fee, because I would have the whole time in the park the next day to game drive around.

If everyone has to pay for the second day's conservation fee regardless of when they leave the park, then I think it makes sense to spend sometime the next day game driving around, rather than leaving so early? :)

Kruger National...
6. Re: 'Standard Conservation fee' in Kruger for overnight visitors

For sure :)

I just checked - either way, whether you leave at 6am or 6pm, you will not be charged the extra days conservation fee!

Brisbane, Australia
7. Re: 'Standard Conservation fee' in Kruger for overnight visitors

Hi misstamg, thank you for this! Did you contact the Kruger National Park?

Kruger National...
8. Re: 'Standard Conservation fee' in Kruger for overnight visitors

I actually looked for an old invoice of mine from one of my camping trips :)

Hazyview, South...
reviews: 10
9. Re: 'Standard Conservation fee' in Kruger for overnight visitors

I have to correct myself (although my invoices from before wildcard some years ago show different), that you pay conservation fee as per number of nights booked.

1 night, 1 day conservation fee). I just spoke to SANparks central reservation.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Brisbane, Australia
10. Re: 'Standard Conservation fee' in Kruger for overnight visitors

Thank you both for your replies. I' glad that I have the confirmed info for this now :)

Reply to: 'Standard Conservation fee' in Kruger for overnight visitors
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted