We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this possible: satara to panorama route to joberg?

Melbourne
reviews: 37
Is this possible: satara to panorama route to joberg?

Hi everyone,

A few months ago I got some great advice on planning my trip to Kruger later this year.

I now have another question:

Is it possible to leave Satara, go along the Panorama Route, visiting Blyde Canyon etc, and return to Joberg for a 9pm domestic flight?

My husband and I can spend 12 hours in a car (trust me we did it last month). If we left early, say 7am I imagine we would need to be back at Joberg airport around 6.30-7pm.

Is this just crazy?

*How many hours is a direct drive from Satara to Joberg?

*Alternatively I can get the 1845 from Nelspruit, is that a better option?

Look forward to your advice.

Randburg, Gauteng...
reviews: 33
1. Re: Is this possible: satara to panorama route to joberg?

Hi, Satara to Orpen gate is around 45 km, but it takes over an hour. From Orpen to the main road where you get the Tjunction is around 50km, so 30 minutes. From the Tjunction to ABel Erasmus pass, takes about another 30 minutes. Then once down the pass, you turn left and go towards the Panorama Route, Your first stop is the 3 Rondavels, then Bourkes Luck Potholes, then Gods Window, then you arrive at the town of Graskop. You can stop for lunch there. After that it takes about 3 and a half hours. Add on around 3 hours to do the Panorama Route. If you flight is international, you need to be there 2 hours before. So i would leave when the gates open in Satara depends on the time of the year, but work on 6am. Pack a little snack pack for breakfast. You can go via Nelspruit, but the road travels through African settlement areas, so it is very stressful, goats, cows, chickens, children, taxis, old cars, all on the roads, so i dont recommend that route.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Melbourne
reviews: 37
2. Re: Is this possible: satara to panorama route to joberg?

Thank you for the response Lyn. I really appreciate the detail.

You suggest 8.5hrs, I just want to get a few more opinons. Do others agree/disgaree?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 3,124
3. Re: Is this possible: satara to panorama route to joberg?

Not quite the same drive but we have made journey from Timbavati area, out through Hoedspruit to the ABel Erasmus pass, hitting the major stops on the Panorama Route, lunch in Graskop and then onward to O Tambo. Our journey time was around 11 hours, if I remember correctly, but we had a long lunch and were not driving very fast.

Edited: 3:59 am, February 27, 2013
st Louis
reviews: 1
4. Re: Is this possible: satara to panorama route to joberg?

I am trying to plan a similar route but am not as rushed for time. Trying to decide where to spend the night along the route after leaving Gomo Gomo. I assume will do a morning game drive, Will then have to transfer to Hoedspruit airport to pick up rental car. I think by the looking at the map the first spots would be three rondavals area/blyde rive canyon. Is this where we should stop for the night and go down toward Graskop the next day? Not sure what we will have time for that first day. Leave Gomo Gomo on a Sunday, flight home is then late Tuesday night from Jburg.

Sorry if I hijaked this thread will start my own if no one answers here.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 3,124
5. Re: Is this possible: satara to panorama route to joberg?

>>>>>>I think by the looking at the map the first spots would be three rondavals area/blyde rive canyon. Is this where we should stop for the night and go down toward Graskop the next day?<<<<<<

Three rondavels is a great stop that you'll easily be able to make it to after leaving Gomo Gomo and getting your car. Not really hotel or accommodations in this area to my knowledge but you're not far outside of Graskop. I'd head there and stay the night.

Alternatively, you could make your way to Hazyview which is much larger and will offer you a lot more choice for accommodations. Then you could spend all day Monday checking out the Panorama Route attractions. Hazyview is just a half hour or so away from Graskop so you'd be starting your drive day quite close.

st Louis
reviews: 1
6. Re: Is this possible: satara to panorama route to joberg?

I am trying to figure out the map right now. There is a route that takes me on R40 to 533 straight to Graskop. Or one that looks like it goes around the other way more to the canyon and randoval area. Can't deicde where I want to be Sunday night. Will there be to much back tracking if stay in Hazyview/Graskop Sunday night to then make it to Johannesburg Monday night? It looks like we would have to head back down to Graskop to go to Johannesburg?

7. Re: Is this possible: satara to panorama route to joberg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 28, 2014