We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trophy hunting in the Timbavati Game Reserve

Naracoorte
reviews: 14
Trophy hunting in the Timbavati Game Reserve

I have only just realised that trophy hunting of white rhino, elephant and lion (along with other species) is done in the Timbavati. Here I am donating to Kruger National Parks anti-poaching cause to fight the scourge of poaching and rhino hunts are taking place in the neighbouring reserve. Elephant poaching is a rising catastrophe all over Africa. Lion numbers are plummeting. I guess it was stupid and naive to not think otherwise, but how is it that poachers are being shot poaching rhino but rhino are being sold to international hunters by private owners? It is just beyond me.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
reviews: 7
1. Re: Trophy hunting in the Timbavati Game Reserve

That is shocking! I will not encourage people to visit it anymore. Have you got a link to a lodge that offers such sadistic and appalling activities?

Should we start a petition on Avaaz? Many international residents would avoid Timbavati if they knew the reserve allowed some hunting areas where endangered animals are hunted.

Naracoorte
2. Re: Trophy hunting in the Timbavati Game Reserve

Here is a website:

sesafaris.com/sesafaris/lodge-timbavati.html

I believe there is already a petition.

Hazyview, South...
reviews: 10
3. Re: Trophy hunting in the Timbavati Game Reserve

Google

www.google.co.za/search?q=Hunting+safari+Timbavati&rlz=1C1CHMO_enZA509ZA509&oq=Hunting+safari+Timbavati&aqs=chrome.0.57j62l2.7332&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

you'll find a few, just not sure how actual it is. To be honest, I have also not been aware of it.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 6:04 am, January 30, 2013
Boston...
4. Re: Trophy hunting in the Timbavati Game Reserve

Thank for pointing this out.

I had no idea this as happening here. I knew of the small private farms but not this. If true, very distressing and calls for some more publicity and public outcry.

They openly talk about baiting leopards for hunting -- and since there are no fences, why would only leopards be drawn to the bait?

Heeten

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
5. Re: Trophy hunting in the Timbavati Game Reserve

I cannot find a petition about banning the hunting of endangerered species within Greater Kruger National Park?

Nobody has mentioned this on the SANParks either.

Naracoorte
6. Re: Trophy hunting in the Timbavati Game Reserve

Graham5000, a post was put up on Sanparks forum yesterday with a link to the petition. I think it lasted all of 2 minutes or so before it was removed by Mods to disappear in cyberspace. I think there is zero chance they will allow a post about it on the forum. Sorry I can't provide a link to the petition but I signed it from the link given on the SP forum before it was taken off.

Klaserie and Umbabat also hunt on their reserves.

www.dukesafaris.com/newsletters/index.php

Butte Des Morts
7. Re: Trophy hunting in the Timbavati Game Reserve

I have just booked nights in both the Timbavati and the Klaserie Game reserves and now I read the leopards I see around the vehicle may be baited to their death that night.

What an awful thought to be watching lions, rhinos, and even elephants who have lost some of the natural fear of humans and know they could wander onto another private farm and be shot for someone's pleasure. I kept on reading the above website, hoping it would tell me the hunting is done with cameras, but instead it talked about how to bring your rifles in the country.

Naracoorte
8. Re: Trophy hunting in the Timbavati Game Reserve

It is big money. I find it difficult to understand that an animal is protected in Kruger National Park whilst within its boundary but if that animal strikes out and finds itself over the UNFENCED boundary in the Timbavati or Klaserie or Umbabat Private Nature Reserves it is fair game.

On one side the illegal poaching of rhino is an immense problem with huge amounts of money and resources being thrown at the problem including donations from people all over the world, but just next door on the same unfenced tract of land, big money is legally changing hands so someone can shoot a white rhino (or a lion, leopard, elephant etc).

One might be strictly regulated (legal hunting), the other (poaching) uncontrolled. Essentially the same thing is taking place. The exchange of money for the death of animals. Species, whose plight I currently read about on worldwide media as causing much consternation due to plummeting populations, loss of habitat etc. Species like elephant, white rhino and lions.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
9. Re: Trophy hunting in the Timbavati Game Reserve

Great points tryhard - I agree completely!

lionaid.org/blog/2011/12/southern-african-na…

"In 2009 the following quota was assigned: elephant 55, buffalo 144, impala 5003, lion 2, zebra 7, kudu 19, white rhino 7, leopard 1, etc"

This is very worrying - I reckon a Facebook/Twitter Avaaz petition would get the authorities worried!

Naracoorte
10. Re: Trophy hunting in the Timbavati Game Reserve

I honestly think that people in the wider community, particularly outside of South Africa, haven't a clue that this is happening. I suspect it would not be viewed favourably, I suspect that people like the poster above, who book with non-hunting lodges in these neighbouring reserves would be appalled that hunting is taking place on the same reserve.