We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serondella or Arathusa?

Canada
reviews: 9
Serondella or Arathusa?

Husband and I are going on a safari in May and we've been given the option of going to Serondella or Arathusa. We have never been on a safari before. Can you please help outline the differences that I should consider?

Arathusa seems to be quite popular and I've heard it mentioned here a few times which gives me more confidence in choosing it. I wasn't familiar with Serondella until a travel agency recommended it us, but the reviews here seem to be good. Luxury is secondary to a great game experience to us. Any information anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 2
1. Re: Serondella or Arathusa?

I stayed at Arathusa 2 years ago and it was great! We saw tons of animals! I recommend it.

reviews: 1
2. Re: Serondella or Arathusa?

No hesitation whatsoever in recommending serondella. The game drives were brilliant....as waste whole stay, come to think of it! Lovely,personal holiday experience...magic!

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 46
3. Re: Serondella or Arathusa?

Can recommend Arathusa which is in the Sabi Sands Reserve, which in my opinion offers some of the best game viewing. Sorry haven't been to Serondella which is in the Thornybush Reserve. Arathusa have a good area to traverse and good number of leopards and lions. Would suggest the standard rooms as they overlook the dam which offers you the opportunity to sit on your verandah and watch wildlife come and go - these rooms are very nice although not as luxurious as the more expensive rooms.

You could also consider Elephant Plains, which is next to Arathusa. I always stay in the rondavels at this lodge as they are very nice, but if you want a little more luxury and privacy the luxury rooms are super.

Whichever you choose hope you have a great experience.

SOUTH AFRICA
4. Re: Serondella or Arathusa?

I agree with the advice offered above by Liz!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Durban...
5. Re: Serondella or Arathusa?

Two very different reserves - one is fenced (Thornybush) and one is not Sabi Sands. I have been to both Thornybush (many times) and Sabi Sands and as with any safari its all about being in the right place at the right time. We have had some wonderful sightings over the years and sometimes have been rewarded with unique ones wherever we have been. Surprisingly enough, as we usually combine one or two days of luxury with Kruger Park we have found that over the years Kruger has frequently filled in gaps that were missing from a trip to a private reserve especially with wild dogs and leopard sightings. Enjoy whatever you choose!

Western Cape, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
reviews: 40
6. Re: Serondella or Arathusa?

Two thoughts - Arathusa has more guests, more creative dining, their luxury suites are some the largest I have ever seen - while their smaller ones face the water and you can see wildlife from your porch. Serondella, with just 4 suites, is much more intimate and the size and quality of the suites is sort of in-between the level of comfort of the two categories at Arathusa. The fact that Thornybush is fenced doesn't bother me. The reserve is 52 square miles and has terrific wildlife experiences. Arathusa's size doesn't bother me. Excellent management and food service and Rangers. And the Sabi Sand wildlife to go with all of that. Hard to pick one over the other for me.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Liverpool, England
reviews: 26
7. Re: Serondella or Arathusa?

Stayed in one of the rooms overlooking the dam at Arathusa and the room quality was excellent (although the rooms didn't have keys) Had elephants walk between our lodge and the next one with many other animals coming in to drink at the dam which had a resident hippo. Saw two leopard kills and a cheetah kill with one leopard losing it's kill to her son and then losing another kill to a hyena. Our guide, Jason made a real effort to get to know your name and what drinks you liked. Game rides here were the most exciting I have ever had and would love to return.

8. Re: Serondella or Arathusa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 30, 2014