We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Kruger to Jo'burg

West Midlands...
reviews: 1
Driving from Kruger to Jo'burg

Hi. As part of my travels in August, I have rented a car and will be driving from Protea lodge Kruger to Santon, Jo'burg. Any idea how long this will take? How will I get directions? Is this a big mistake?

Jenny

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
1. Re: Driving from Kruger to Jo'burg

I can give you some basic idea but I have only driven from the Johannesburg Airport to kruger.

I presume it is Protea Lodge Paul Kruger. So take the R536 to Hazyview, then the R538 to just before White River, join the R40 to Nelspruit and then onto the N4 before arriving Johannesburg branch on to the N12 this should take you to the ring road which will take you towards Santon. Distance is about 450 km. We normally reckon Hazyview to Johannesburg Airport is an easy 5 hour drive with a stop for toilets/refreshments. There are a couple of Toll Sections on the N4 so have some small change ready.

The drive from Kruger to Joburg is very straightforward, once in the city limits I can't help. I would certainly get a decent map whilst you are in SA. and I am sure someone else will offer advice.

You could also have a look at a route planner www.tiscover.co.za - click on route planner and enter you parameters.

Good luck and have a good trip

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
reviews: 7
2. Re: Driving from Kruger to Jo'burg

Jenny, let me say one thing: It's definitely NOT a mistake to drive!

It's about four hours from Nelspruit to Johannesburg, with no dawdling along the way. About half the route is 4-lane divided freeway (actually it's a tollway). East of Middelburg, the road is two-lane highway with frequent third-lanes for passing.

The roads are in first-class condition. Driving is slightly less speedy than in England. The 75 mph speed limit is enforced by police, differing from English motorways in this regard.

We rented our car from Avis. They gave us, free, a good quality road atlas of South Africa, complete with a map of the Johannesburg freeway system. We used it to get us into Sandton. Of course, we could just as well have followed the signs if our map had not been as good.

It's faster than flying, by the way. If you flew from Nelspruit, you'd be in the air less than an hour. Of course, you'd first have to get to the airport. Then check in. Then go through security. Then wait. At the Johannesburg end, you'd have to get off. Then pick up all your luggage. Then find a way to your hotel.

Wheels make it so much easier, not to mention the convenience, versatility and safety of your own car.

Happy travels, and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

3. Re: Driving from Kruger to Jo'burg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, September 30, 2009