We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what clothing to pack for May in Durban?

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wentworth Falls...
reviews: 33
what clothing to pack for May in Durban?

Advice please on work wear and leisure wear for Durban in May!

I am visiting Durban for one week of work and two weeks of leisure in May. I live in a colder, mountainous part of Australia. I am thinking the weather looks a little like the weather in Brisbane, Queensland – and in May there one would wear lightweight jeans and a long sleeved shirt by day, and take a cardigan or jacket for chilly evenings. Is that a fair comparison?

The long and the short of it is that I don’t know what to pack! The work part is teaching, probably in an air conditioned auditorium. Will I be too hot in a lightweight, long sleeved knit, indoors? What should I wear sightseeing?

speech_woman

Edited: 8:48 pm, April 27, 2012
1. Re: what clothing to pack for May in Durban?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, May 14, 2012
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
2. Re: what clothing to pack for May in Durban?

It should be Brisbane-ish, but cold fronts come through from the Antarctic via Cape Town. Most fizzle out as they move up the coast, but some don't and you might hit a cold patch. It is very unlikely that there will be any heating where you are staying, because it is unnecessary for 95% of the year.

Wentworth Falls...
3. Re: what clothing to pack for May in Durban?

Thank you Mark - very helpful.

Wentworth Falls...
4. Re: what clothing to pack for May in Durban?

Good advice which I am grateful for, Iamlee. Many thanks.

Durban, South Africa
reviews: 73
5. Re: what clothing to pack for May in Durban?

Today its in low 20C, but last weekend was as high as 30C. All posts have been good. Dress is generally casual here, and shorts with a light top would be warm enough for day. Jeans at night with a similar light top is good. The Drakensberg can be 2-3degrees colder, and the Game Reserves get cold at night and early mornings. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Terry

Wentworth Falls...
6. Re: what clothing to pack for May in Durban?

Thank you SO much, Terry!

7. Re: what clothing to pack for May in Durban?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, June 18, 2013