We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Durban from Hluhluwe

Which Durban hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reno, Nevada
reviews: 25
Driving to Durban from Hluhluwe

Hi!

After much debate and discussion, we have decided to drive to Durban from Hluhluwe and then fly from Durban to Port Elizabeth and start our drive from there to Cape Town. We wanted to drive all the way, and appreciated all the advice we received about how best to do that, but just don't have enough time to do it the right way. We don't like to rush, nor do we want to spend 8 or more hours strictly driving from point A to point B. But I will save all the info I received for when we take our next trip to SA. I also want to mention how nice the people at Sunbirds in Southbroom are - very helpful and very understanding! I hope I get to stay there someday.

Our flight to Port Elizabeth leaves at 8 in the morning, so we would like a hotel near the airport or a hotel that is close to Durban on the way to the airport. We will have a car that will need to be returned before our flight. Any suggestions on a nice place to overnight in or near Durban, or within a 1/2 hour of the airport?

Thank you again for your previous advice and suggestions - they were very much appreciated!

Cape Town
1. Re: Driving to Durban from Hluhluwe

Hi angelika

That's probably the best solution considering the time constraints that a vacation dictates.

Just the first piece of advice about finding a hotel near the airport. You need to be aware that the airport in Durban migrated 50 km north just three months ago! From south of the city, to about 30km north along the N2. The brand new King Shaka Airport opened at the begining of May and all flights shifted to there from day one. However many (most!) maps will not reflect this! A good thing is that this makes the drive from Hluhluwe significantly shorter - and easier as you don't have to go through or around the city.

Many accommodation websites may well give you distances to the airport but you need to be absolutely sure this is the new airport - or an advertised 10 min drive might turn into more than an hour in rush hour traffic!

To find KS Airport on your map, if it isn't marked, it is at La Mercy right on the N2 to the north of the city. This is good as it is close to many of the best resorts on the coast North of Durban. So there are lots of accommodation choices. From large, luxury hotels to excellent guesthouses and B&Bs. The nearest big resorts are Ballito north of the airport and Umhlanga to the south. Maybe 15 mins from either to the airport. But there a number of smaller resorts even closer - within 5 or 10 mins. Locals such as Kim will be able to give you specific recommendations.

I have already flown in and out of the new airport and the car hire drop-off is very close to the main terminal. Just two minutes walk. You don't need to add in much time for this.

Edited: 6:28 pm, August 04, 2010
durban
reviews: 24
2. Re: Driving to Durban from Hluhluwe

Salt Rock Hotel is before the airport turn off and is in a beautiful location right on the beach and is a pleasant, relaxed hotel, for an overnighter.

http://www.saltrockbeach.co.za/

3. Re: Driving to Durban from Hluhluwe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, February 02, 2011