We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alternative national parks due to malaria risk

london
reviews: 2
alternative national parks due to malaria risk

Thanks for responses to previous post.

I was getting very excited by the prospects of St Lucia and Umfolozi sounding like real wildlife highlights but I see that both are in malaria risk zones. My wife is pregnant and has been advised not to take antimalarials. We're gutted but think we have to change our plans....would really appreciate it if anyone can recommend other parks/reserves where we can see the big 5 / hippos etc in KZN without malarial risk

Thanks

Andy

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
1. Re: alternative national parks due to malaria risk

National parks

1) Addo doesnt have hippos in main section of the park

2) Marakele - has Big 5, but are difficult to see

3) Kgalagadi - best place for seeing cats, no elephant, rhino or buffalo

www.sanparks.org

Provincial parks - North West Province

Madikwe - not cheap

Pilanesberg - can get busy, but you will see a lot

www.tourismnorthwest.co.za

london
reviews: 2
2. Re: alternative national parks due to malaria risk

thanks for your quick response....i was hoping there might be alternatives in KZN?

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
3. Re: alternative national parks due to malaria risk

Anything North East of St Lucia has a higher risk and most KZN game parks are in that direction.

The only park I can think of is Ithala which is probably malaria free because of altitude. I dont think they have cats though. Someone else will probably give you a better reply.

The official site for KZN parks is

www.kznwildlife.co.za

4. Re: alternative national parks due to malaria risk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, August 21, 2009